Japanese snow camo helmet

smbr57

Posted Image

Got this recently. My second winter camo. Likely from Attu, as others with known provenance from that battle are almost identical. Note tge battle damage. Named to Yamada. Unit is ‘7 North’. Not sure what that connotes. A real combat veteran.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted Image

1942 dated liner.

Posted Image

Three coats of paint. The brown paint is the exact same shade as three other Attu helmets I own. Also my other white camo has this brown paint underneath. Hardly unique to Attu, I know.

A relic white camo found on Attu recently. A lot of these Attu helmets have damage to the rims. Possibly due to suicide by grenade.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On the first helmet you have shared with us....is there a ink stamp on the back of the front liner pad and can you tell what number is stamped there ? Or can you take a picture of the back of the pad and and the sewn liner band joint and post.The liner is worn but with some luck I might be able to read it.

tiger41

It says Showa 17 I believe. I’m currently traveling but will take a look and get pictures when I return. I took a peak without untying it and saw the year.

Some nice winter camo's and outside of Attu, Kiska and maybe the 39-40 Winter campaign in China how many places would have been conducive to the Japanese utilizing winter camo?

Great winter helmets! The green paint over the brown on the interior is interesting - have you seen that before on winter camos? Is there any paint on the liner or do you think it was done with the liner removed?

The relic helmet is also a really good find - did you recover that one? Sorry for all the questions, but it’s good to learn about these winter helmets!

Regards

Russ

Some nice winter camo's and outside of Attu, Kiska and maybe the 39-40 Winter campaign in China how many places would have been conducive to the Japanese utilizing winter camo?

There is solid photographic and film evidence from the Kuriles and China. Two others in high end collections that are almost identical to mine were sourced from Attu vets. The only other two I know of.

I think the liner was removed when it was painted green. It’s odd that the helmet received three coats of paint unless the liner is newer than the helmet. Unfortunately no provenance but conceivably an Attu pick up. Troops in the battle arrived in the fall of ‘42. My other Attu helmets are dated 1940 and 1941 I believe. An experienced collector friend who helped me obtain this has seen this exact green hue on at least one other Army helmet. Some say the Japanese were forbidden from altering helmets with camouflage paint as they were the Emperor’s property. That is demonstrably false, although Japanese camos are very rare. They were certainly masters of camouflage. There were snipers at high elevations om Attu that like wore snow camo. Army reports after that battle refer to the use of snow camo although not specifically referring to helmets.

Great winter helmets! The green paint over the brown on the interior is interesting - have you seen that before on winter camos? Is there any paint on the liner or do you think it was done with the liner removed?

The relic helmet is also a really good find - did you recover that one? Sorry for all the questions, but it’s good to learn about these winter helmets!

Regards

Russ

The relic was on Ebay and the seller said it was found on Attu. I bid on it and lost. It went for $300 I think. I see no reason to doubt the story.

Pics from Attu, spring 1945, from my collection.

My roommate in college was from Atka. I spoke with him recently and he told me his father was interned by the Japanese as a young boy when they occupied Attu i 1942.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Many thanks for your reply. They are great helmets! Those period colour pics are superb also!

It’s a pity you missed out on the relic, it would go well with your Attu collection!

Regards

Russ

There are actually three other winter camos that i know of. This one was found in England of all places. Also Showa 17.

Posted Image

Posted Image

No doubt in my mind of their Camo paint originality. These are really great helmets, not often seen. I’m aware of the commentary that Camo was not permitted but I think it is very unrealistic to say that it categorically did not happen, full stop.

Regards

Russ