Royal Armored Corps black beret for review

THe beret definitely has some age to it. I'd suggest trying to photo the markings inside the beret to see if you can use some filters to help bring out the text. The badge also looks like a good one, but it looks like the badge has been mounted through the vents on the beret rather than at the front of the beret. Take photos of the lining where the vent holes are and see if there are any holes on the front of the beret for the badge to be worn correctly. I can assure you, the badge was not worn there by a soldier.

Allan

As Allan mentioned, the beret badge is pinned thru the vent holes. British berets can be tricky to date. Does yours have a leather rectangle sewn in the front opposite the ties? If so, these were used for the "slider" type cap insignia and would date the beret to the post WWII era. From the pics you posted though, I think it may be a WWII vintage beret. One of the things to look for is a looser line of hand stitching below the machine stitching that holds the liner to the band. The loose stitching was used to hold the hessian/buckram liner band reinforcement in place during the manufacturing process. Although I am no expert, I believe yours may be a WWII KANGOL beret with the marking faded out...

Thanks for the help! I know nothing about dating British berets, I bought this hoping the cap badge was WW2 period.

So upon closer examination, I removed the badge from the vents and found holes on the correct side to reattach it. Better?

post-185417-0-27290600-1560700353_thumb.jpg

post-185417-0-13821300-1560700372_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help! I know nothing about dating British berets, I bought this hoping the cap badge was WW2 period.

So upon closer examination, I removed the badge from the vents and found holes on the correct side to reattach it. Better?

Yes!

That is great Info on the beret I.d thanks for sharing

I picked up a great Polish Armored Group last year and I have been looking for a armored beret to go with the Group. Tha is for the info

I've discovered the badge is actually the Royal Tank Regiment, the oldest tank unit in the world.

It is also the badge worn by General Montgomery. The story goes that in North Africa, a NCO gave Monty the beret to which he added the general's insignia and continued to wear it throughout the war.

post-185417-0-26624600-1562182965.jpg

• 8 months later...
Brian Keith

Really Cool Beret Matt!

When Jim and I (and wives) visited England and France in '93, it seemed like EVERY museum we visited had "Monty's Beret". It became a joke of sorts, I could picture an orderly with a case of berets and each day give a new one to Monty to wear, then at the end of the day, send it off to a museum.

Nice that it looks to be WW II Era!

BKW

Yes, King's crown. The way I was taught the difference had to do with anatomy (the shape of the crown can be related to either male or female parts), and that was from a RCAF pilot!

• 9 months later...