Need Help with Japanese Flag and Towel

Wake1941

Just picked these 2 pieces up, the first is a flag which I have no clue what it is before. I was told the second piece is a towel. Any help would be appreciated

post-185938-0-20890400-1561481835.jpg

vintageproductions

I am sure Eric or someone else can translate properly, but the second one looks post-war and I believe the green cross is for building safety or something similar

Flag = 毎日新聞 (mainichi shimbun) Mainichi Newspaper

Bob's right on the second one. 安全第一 (anzen daiichi) = Safety First. To me it looks like a headband (hachimaki) made up for National Safety Week.

Fortunes Of War

The logo on the flag in the first image almost reminds me of a city or municipal logo. John is pretty good at identifying these and I'm sure that he will chime in when he sees your example.

Fortunes Of War

I spoke to John about this flag. Unfortunately, John is under the weather but mentioned that he has seen this flag before and it has an Asahi Shimbun logo on it. The Asahi Shimbun is/was one of the leading newspapers in Japan during and after the War.

Sorry, MIke...I knew what I meant but said Asahi but meant Maninichi...this is what a concussion does. I saw both of these at an east coast show months ago and the dealer ask what they were. I explained that both were NOT military and what they were. The second is a "tenugui" or towel. Sorry for the confusion on the name, Mike, my bad !