Candian Engineer's Spoils of War

Bob Hudson

We don't have a SPOILS OF WAR section on this forum, so I'm posting this here. I also posted it in the German WWII section so you can see more detailed photos there: http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/315341-wwii-german-dagger-medals-badges-etc-from-canadian-vet/

A sterling bracelet has his name, RCE and serial number on it. The SN begins with "M" and I think that means he was in a unit from Alberta: the Army Troops Company (Royal Canadian Engineers). That company served with the First Canadian Army in Europe. The famly said the veteran had gone through Belgium and Germany, and that jibes with the First's movements during the war.

0.jpg

1.jpg

Thanks for sharing! Love seeing what a soldier thought to bring home as souvenirs! This guy came back loaded! At the far left center, what is that that looks like a Lucite sail boat?

At the far left center, what is that that looks like a Lucite sail boat?

It may be Lucite: I tested it and it is not Bakelite. It's a Mediterranean felucca - maybe Greek, although felucca-style boats were made in many countries with many different variations. Novelist Jack London wrote a short story about a Fish & Game officer chasing and trying to catch a poacher sailing one of the Italian fellucas that were the standard boat for San Francisco Bay commercial fishermen before internal combustion took over.

Here's the pin with a Greek version of the felluca:

boat1.jpg

• 1 year later...