Japanese Canteen

Old Marine

I believe this is a standard Japanese Army Enlisted man's canteen. I picked this up years ago. Can any of you guys translate the writing on the back or the strap? Do the numbers signify a unit?

Any help with the characters, comments or observations will be appreciated.

Thanks all

post-185204-0-26290700-1563827915_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately these characters can represent several surnames.

新村 = Shimura, Mimura, Shinmura, Aramura, Niimura

I would guess that the numbers represent units (e.g. 3/5 = 3rd Company, 5th Battalion)

Old Marine,

Take the bottle out of the harness and look on the exterior bottom of the bottle....there should be a stamp into the metal or a paint stamp that will give you a date of the bottle...i.e. "Sho 15" similar to the stamps on the helmet liners. It is a used piece so it may not be in good enough condition to read. It likely is too faded but there was also an ink stamp on the shoulder strap with a date.

Tiger 41

Sorry, but my Japanese is limited..I know what the individual kanji says but when used together is different. Looks like a name and a individual number on the bottle. Canteen harnesses and bottles were exchanged a lot when they got damaged or were taken from dead or wounded men. I've seen canteens with 3 or 4 different names on them. Still looks to be a good early example that is nicely marked.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Regarding the "3/5"; smaller units were often expressed in terms of fractions by Japanese soldiers, almost certainly a squad/company relationship. Japanese regiments generally had 3 battalions.

These fractions originate with Japanese Army map notations. Attached is a fragment borrowed from a handmade map of the Burma/China border, by a Japanese soldier. Still not sure of the unit represented though.

post-185162-0-46957300-1570986878.jpg

• 1 year later...