• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AirCorpsHJS

AirCorpsHJS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 185,195
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:37 PM

I bought these several months ago from a gentleman whose Father was a Marine who served on Guam. Story goes that Dad was a mechanic prior to the War, and sent them home thinking he would one day use them for something. He never did, and son found them in a crate in the garage while they cleaned out the estate.

Everything i can find tells me they are probably legit and what they are said to be, was curious if any of our members have experience with them, and , if anyone can help me ballpark a value, that would also be appreciated.

TIA

Jay

Attached Images

• 10.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • 12.jpg

#2 AirCorpsHJS

AirCorpsHJS
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Attached Images

• 13.jpg

#3 AirCorpsHJS

AirCorpsHJS
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Second wheel:

#4 AirCorpsHJS

AirCorpsHJS
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:38 PM

Attached Images

• 20.jpg
  • 21.jpg
  • 22.jpg

#5 AirCorpsHJS

AirCorpsHJS
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:38 PM

Attached Images

• 23.jpg
  • 25.jpg
  • 26.jpg

#6 tiger41

tiger41
  • Moderators
    • Member ID: 185,728
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:03 PM

AirCorpsHJS,

Not an expert on aircraft but in looking the wheel and tire over one thing I see in picture # 8 is what appears to be a star inside a circle....this type of stamp was to mark ARMY items. If that is what I see (its difficult) then this wheel & tire is not off a Zero or any naval aircraft but an army aircraft. Make a line from the center of the hub straight out to the middle "0" on the tire and about half way out you should see the stamp. Let us know if its a star....that would start the search to ID the wheel. In pictures 5, 6 & 7 I also see a diamond shape with a dot in the center...this was a logo used by Kobe Special Steel Comp. (?) This company made military helmets and other military items and this was a wartime company logo. I'll double check that to make sure that is the name of the company.

tiger41 

Edited by tiger41, 08 August 2019 - 05:27 PM.

#7 tiger41

tiger41
  • Moderators
    • Member ID: 185,728
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

AirCorpsHJS,

The logo is for Kobe Special Steel and it is a logo used during the war. As to value....if these tires were from a naval aircraft and a "Zero" that would be about as good as it gets. Its been my experience that army aircraft don't carry the same value as naval aircraft items. That being said, to get a true value you really need to know what aircraft this type of tire was used on.....could have been several different aircraft.

I hope this helps....neat items !!!!!!!!

Regards,

tiger41

#8 AirCorpsHJS

AirCorpsHJS
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:19 PM

thanks, that is a good place to start with the info you have me! I really appreciate it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users