I'm not in the loop here....

-Ski

#4 stratasfan

stratasfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 185,332
  • 336 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:13 AM

Guess I'm not either. What about him? :)

#5 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:42 AM

Guess I'm not either. What about him? :)

He was Rick's militaria and weapons buddy on Pawn Stars, but before that (and maybe still) he generated lots of controversy in the TR collecting community. There were huge angry threads about him on some other forums. It used to be that a google search would turn up all of that, but now the google search results seem to have watered down the controversies. Of course in today's PC world a news story about a sale of Hitler's stuff will bring out a whole new crowd of critics. Ironically the controversies seemed to have had no affect on his collectibles business and in fact it has grown: the Pawn Stars exposure helped a lot, but he also has some very good business savvy.  On another forum in 2013 someone wrote:  

"Craig Gottlieb is the LAUGHING STOCK of the militaria field...However, he is one hell of a SELF-promoter." 

Laughing stock, or laughing all the way to the bank?

#6 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:31 PM

Lol, I remember people having to scatter as he drove through the narrow isles on his Segway at the Show of Shows in Louisville. Seems that people either love him or hate him, there is no middle ground with Craig.

#7 Skysoldier80

Skysoldier80
  • Members
    • Member ID: 187,248
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:08 AM

He is a tool!

#8 Wake1941

Wake1941
  • Members
    • Member ID: 185,938
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 04:05 PM

Interesting that they put how much he paid for the cap and parts and he's trying to resell them now. I can't imagine in this market that they will bring much more than he paid 

#9 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:36 PM

Interesting that they put how much he paid for the cap and parts 

Craig I'm certain knows that makes his auction "newsworthy."

I wonder if he had investors  in this, hoping for a payoff at auction time? I've done business with Craig (selling to him), and I never saw anything to indicate he had that kind of buying power by himself. If it sells for a profit it'll set some sort of record I imagine.

#10 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

https://theoutline.c...d=1&zi=dabpyxm4

Here's an interesting article that includes some of the auction results, for instance:

"replica of this style of Nazi military cap can be bought on Amazon for $38.99. The real thing sold Saturday for €420,000, about $460,000. When I spoke with Gottlieb before the auction, he said that his “hope and prayer” was that the Nazi memorabilia would be “purchased by a wealthy angel investor who sends them to the Holocuast Museum or the Museum of Tolerance in L.A.,” though he acknowledged that the chances of that happening were slim. “People say, ‘why don’t you donate them yourself?” he said. “Because I can’t afford to. I’m not Bill Gates. I’m not Steven Spielberg."

#11 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:58 PM

And:

"Gottlieb made an impressive haul on Saturday, although it’s not clear whether he is on track to reach his stated goal of $3.5 million for the full set. Besides the cap selling for r €420,000, the Blood Order medal went for €250,000; another medal went for €80,000. The brownshirt, worn by Hitler at the 1935 and 1938 “Party Day” rallies, went unsold. There wasn’t a bid high enough (in 2016, an Argentinian collector bought Hitler’s “last uniform jacket” for £215,000, or about $264,000)."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users