Black Forest Carved Bust Kaiser Wilhelm I

mds308

Wasn't sure where to post this bust so here it is. I found it on a trip to Florida at a small show. Nice Black Forest folk art carving of Kaiser Wilhelm I.

It measures approximately 10 1/4 inches (26cm) tall with excellent detail. I was unable to find any kind of comparable. Any help and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

post-185632-0-56356800-1573235829.jpg

post-185632-0-16302900-1573235838.jpg

I'm no expert on Black Forest art but I will say this. I wouldn't call that piece "folk art". I think whoever did this was an extremely good or professional carver and I would call it more a piece of fine art. I mean look at the fine detail in the carving. There's no markings on the bust at all? After looking for a short bit I was not able to really find a comparable either. It does look pretty old and seems to have a nice patina. I don't know how much you picked it up for but my guess is it's worth a lot more than what you paid (just a guess). If it wasn't too high I'd of picked it up for sure, and I don't even collect that kind of thing. I think it's a gorgeous carved bust! Congrats.

You again? :D This husband & wife dealer duo had some really interesting items but they were pricey on 95 percent of their pieces. I managed to cherry pick some nice mistakes.