Besitzzeugnis Question

SARGE

Gents,

I have a question concerning an award document (Besitzzeugnis) that I have. This document appears to be an award document for the Bronze Partisan Warfare Badge. The paper looks to be old and correct for the period and the printing is appreciably the same as one shown on page 142 of the Angolia & Taylor book, "Uniforms, Organization, and History of the German Police (Vol.2)". The information is correctly typed and dated 1944. The purple HSSuPF document stamp appears correct. However, there is no actual ink signature on the document. In place of the signature there is a typed statement that the signing/authorizing authority is "Der Hohere SS-und Polizeifuhrer Russland - Sud" which matches the document stamp.

I have not observed this lack of a signature before but I see that it might be possible since there is no actual signature line (Unterschrift) on the document. I suppose this might have been intended as a file copy as we often see with two holes punched into the edge where it has been attached to a personnel file?

Any thoughts on the originality of this particular award document?

Partisan badge book.JPG

Partisan badge book doc.JPG

Partisan badge doc.JPG

Partisan badge doc book sig.JPG

Partisan badge doc no sig.JPG

Another thought that came to mind today is that by March of 1944 there were 26 Higher SS and Police Leaders. I know that the staff of HSSuPF Russland-Mitte was disbanded on 2 August 1944 and other command changes were occurring during this time period. Could it be that the post for Russland-Sud. was vacant or in flux on 5 June 1944?

Just thinking out loud.

• 6 months later...

After further research I may have found the answer for why this particular award document does not contain an actual signature.  

I found that HSSuPF Russland-Sud SS-Gruppenfuhrer und Generalleutnant der Polizei Hans Prutzmann was listed as commanding a fighting force called Kampfgruppe Prutzmann after 18 March 1944 and the post of Higher SS and Police Leader Russland-Sud was vacant.  HSSuPF Ukraine and Russia-Sud were dissolved by orders dated 18 March 1944 as these units were retreating under pressure from a Soviet offensive.   In effect, the remains of HSSuPF Russland-Sud became Kampfgruppe Prutzmann as they withdrew.  So, since the office was vacant these Staff award documents continued to be produced "in the field" (O.U.) but only indicated the award was made under the authority of "Der Hohere SS-und Polizeifuhrer Russland-Sud." by being typed in the document.  

Mystery solved it seems. 

Jack the Collector

Every day is a school day in this hobby.Thanks for the follow up I was curious when you posted it.How many times have collectors dismissed the document as fake because of the no signature?