Chinese CHICOM canteen type 1

Militaria of the Past

Militaria of the Past

I found this around August 2019. When I first got it I thought it was a Japanese canteen we used by the Chinese, but since I’ve now figured out exactly what it is I figured I would post here.

Chinese canteen type one with used be the PLA (People's Liberation Army) from 1950 to about 1960. They were later switched out in favor screwtop canteens. These are direct copy of the Japanese canteen used ww2.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was told this might be a soldiers name, but have not been able to get it translated.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

This is a Type 50 canteen, there are at least two versions to the painted markings, the type you have which is the more common of the two and one which has additional text below the star and on the opposite side.

In 1955 production switched to the Type 55. The canteen itself I believe was completely identical except they stopped painting any markings on it, the big change was in the harness. The straps were consolidated down into only 3 pieces of webbing, one that ran horizontally about halfway up, one that runs vertically front to back wrapping under the bottom and retaining the cap, and one that ran vertically on the sides, also wrapping under the bottom and forming a cross with the front/back strap before continuing up to form the shoulder strap.