Vietnamese headgear?

MattS

I think (big maybe) this is a PAVN air defense officer cap circa 1987? The light blue makes me think air force, but it's an army field grade cap badge. Maybe the whole thing is made up, but it was cheap. Any help appreciated!

post-185417-0-53589100-1584050098_thumb.jpg

I suspect you have a put together hat made of non matching pieces.

https://www.pacaf.af.mil/News/Photos/igphoto/2001859212/

It may be possible that it is an older hat dating back to a previous time when the Vietnamese Air Force may have worn brown like the Army as an economy measure. But that is pure speculation on my part.

More likely it was assembled from parts.

Viet AF Officers 2.JPG

Viet AF Officers.jpg

Thanks! I had seen that photo and I suspect you're right.

I saw this illustration in the Osprey book "The NVA and Viet Cong", #4 is an Air Force senior captain circa 1988. The accompanying text says, "Unlike the Navy, the PAVN Air Force appears to have retained the same dress uniform colors as the ground forces."

Hard to tell, but I don't think the cap has the light blue cap band although the black strap and badge are the same.

post-185417-0-91214000-1584203766.jpg

Vietnamese uniforms appear to have modernized in the last few years. There is very little documentation in English to explain the transformations that may have occurred since 1975. Any thing is possible. I suppose it boils down to whether all the pieces look like they have been together for the same amount of time.

I know for a fact that vendors in Vietnam have no qualms about assembling ARVN headgear from parts, so they may do the same for items from the current military.