Heinkel He 111 in 1/48 scale

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

“Extraordinary times require extraordinary...” models. This is the first 1/48 plane model in my life.

After having build grandpa´s Do 17 plane in 1/72 scale I thought about building another plane for a while. Finally these two fantastic Luftwaffe topics triggered me to try another plane in a larger scale.

http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/313095-luftwaffe-aircraft-at-the-national-museum-of-the-us-air-force/

http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/316110-frankfurt-airport-mystery-solved/

Always liked the unique "geenhouse nose" and the typical 1930´s aerodynamic design of the Heinkel He 111 which was the main German bomber during WW II. When building the Do 17 I learned that Revell is building very nice kits. As I said, this time I wanted to build a larger and more detailed plane. At the first glance this seems to be a very well done kit as well so here we go.

He01.jpg

Proud Kraut

I also bought a set of Vallejo airbrush colors (pre 1941) and a set of Eduard photo etched cockpit parts.

He15.jpg

He14.jpg

Wow Lars; this looks like a very nice model. I like the AM PE parts for the cockpit. So have you decided what paint scheme you are going to use for your Heinkel?

Whether you decide during the "Blitz" or in N. Africa, I will be looking forward to seeing how this baby comes out. Good luck on this build.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Interior and cockpit work. With the photo etched elements the pilots seat consists of 12 parts, much more detail than a 1/72 plane. BTW pilots, actually I wanted to build the Heinkel flying with undercarriage raised (correct term?) but there´s no crew with the kit. No problem I thought learning that there are only a very few (and very expensive) 1/48 scale Luftwaffe pilots available out there. I do not want to spend more for a crew of five than for the whole plane. If you have a good hint concerning that, please let me know.

He16.jpg

The Meatcan

possible solution to the "no crew" situation: Paint the inside of the canopy gloss black or smoke Or paint similar to vision blocks on armor kits?

Terry

Looks like a project! Have fun. I wouldn't even want to try that desert scheme... that could go wrong very quickly.

Proud Kraut

Thanks guys!

@Terry: at the moment I think I´ll build it with a crew, at least with a pilot and the navigator. I´m learning one more time that Luftwaffe (RLM) colors are a real science. This plane needs several colors for the interior.

He19.jpg