Cpl. Walter LEONARD 2nd Battalion, Suffolk Regiment, France 1915 - 1916, Severely W.I.A.

REF.: Pte. - A/Cpl. Walter LEONARD 2nd Battalion, Suffolk Regiment, France 1915 - 1916, Severely W.I.A.

Good Morning Folks,

Although U.K. Medals aren't my usual purchases these days, sometimes I just can't resist if it appears to be too good of a value ! I just grabbed a very nice condition 1914 - 15 'Trio', all correctly impressed to Pte. - A/Cpl. W. Leonard, Suff. R. 8896. { RE: No. 8896, Walter LEONARD, 2nd Battalion, Suffolk Regiment, 1914 - 1916 } I'm still in the very early stages of my research on it, but have already learned that the recipient had an extremely interesting service career. It looks like he Enlisted just 11 days past his 18 birthday in February 1914, but for some reason, possibly training requirements, he didn't arrive in France until late December 1914.

He served with his 2nd Battalion, Suffolk Regiment until having to be medically evacuated due to an intestinal infection of some sort during May 1915.

After his diagnosis of Gastro Enteritis, he was evacuated home for treatment. He was ordered by Medical Officers to remain in the U.K. for at least 3 months, or more. So, he remained undergoing treatment until, as per his own request, he returned to France with his 2nd Battalion on 01 March 1916.

( Well, the poor kid sound have stayed home in 'Blightly', as the future didn't bide well for him at all !! ) As per his Soldiers' Pension File, he suffered a 'G.S.W. - Head', sometime during March of 1916 in 'Ypries'. ( Apparently a misspelling of Ypres. )

That pretty much ended his U.K. Military Service, as the wound resulted in the removal of his right eye, thereby making him 'unfit for further military service'. From what I can discern so far, it appears as if he was officially Discharged on 13 June 1916, & looks like he was eligible for the S.W.B., although I haven't been able to find any number for it, & or form date of issue ? Well, that's all that I've managed to accomplish so far, but, as always, 'the eternal hunt must go on' !! THANKS for reading.

Best, dpast32

{ CONTACT: dpast32@aol.com }

THANKS Wharf !! I figured he should have been awarded one, but his file only noted 'SWB', without any corresponding #. Fortunately though, I also came across another 13 pages of his File, which had it's title page mid-numbered with another Service #. I've since confirmed everything, it's definitely my guy. I've only had it since yesterday afternoon, so I guess that qualifies as 'good progress' !! I'll keep everyone updated if I find anything else of note. THANKS

Best, Dom P.

Here's a quick update, as I've managed to firmly document when & where Acting Corporal Walter Leonard, No. 8896 was WIA. As per an RAMC Officer's comments, it occurred on 17 March 1916, at 'The Bluff', Ypres. And, just for the record, it appears as if he survived until his middle 70's, passing away in the U.K. IIRC, 1974 or so. I do have to admit, this is why I really miss collecting British groups. I used to pick up WW1 Trio's all the time years ago, as unless they were something spectacular, they remained quite reasonable. Now however, that's no longer possible as they've all gone up considerably.

Dom P. / dpast32

THANKS Ski, I appreciate it ! Yup, I got truly lucky on this one, as along with his basic 'Attestation Record', he also as a 'Pension Record', which isn't always available, unless of course the recipient had been sufficiently injured enough to warrant one. After catching an 7.92mm Hauser round through his right eye, I guess the decided he well deserved a Pension !! [ And I most heartily agree. ] Another great point on this one is the research didn't cost me a thing, only copy paper & ink for my printer. All in all, I'm so glad I picked it up. I made a solemn vow to buy only RI stuff, but hey, I can lie to myself if I want to, right ?

Dom P. / dpast32@aol.com