Canadian made US caliber ammo WWII ?

Guest patches

Guest patches

I just got my issue of military trader today andit has an artical on u.s. small arms ammunition, there is a list of manufacture's stamp's and the one on the very top is DAQ =Dominion arsenal the Q im gathering is for Quebec.I was aware that canada like britain and the other commenweath countries made some items IE field clotheing ,like mackinaw's, webb gear, etc, as well as vehicle's on contcat and the like, but i was not aware that canada made ammunition, was this another example of reverse lead lease ? If so, did they then make other heavier cailbre munition's as well like artillery and say, aerial ordanance ?

Guest Sgt Brown

The Brits/Commonwealth used some US arms, most notably the Thompson sub machine gun and the Ma Deuce. I am sure there are others - possibly the Browning .30. It doesn't surprise me they might make ammo in those calibres.

Tom

Guest copdoc

Here is a round of 9mm made by Defense Industries (Dominion Ammunition) of Canada in 1943 (left)

The others on the right are made for CIA in the late 40s and maybe in the 50s by Dominion Ammunition and made to look like they are WWII surplus. Thanks to Lew Curtis for the ID. Lew knows more about 9mm ammo than I think I could ever learn.

9mm4.jpg

Guest patches
The Brits/Commonwealth used some US arms, most notably the Thompson sub machine gun and the Ma Deuce. I am sure there are others - possibly the Browning .30. It doesn't surprise me they might make ammo in those calibres.

Tom

Thank's for looking in.I am aware of the canadian's use some u.s weapons and would make small ammuniton for them as well as british force's who also used the same type's. But what i would like to know is, did the canadian's make some of this ammo to delivered for u.s. military use as part of reverse lead lease.

and if so did they then make other heavy cailibre ordnance for our armed forces.

Guest dalbert

Tom

SGT Brown,

The Canadians used the following, in addition to the 2 small arms you listed:

M1919A4

M1919A6

Reising SMG

M1 Carbine

M1918A2 Browning Automatic Rifle

There are probably more that I haven't listed.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Guest 45ACP

The British bought thousands of Sherman tanks from us. Border City Industries Of Canada manufactored M1919A4 Brownings for the Commonwealth. And late war British tanks use a modified ZB37 as their standard co-axial and bow mg. It was chambered in 7.92mm by 57mm or 8mm Mauser the standard German rifle & MG cartridge. They said because they could use captured stockes of ammo same reason for the 9mm Sten and Highpower.

Guest Kilroy

In 1945, contracts for producing cal. 30 M2 ball rifle ammo were awarded by Ordnance to Dominion Arsenal, Canada (DAQ) and Verdun Arsenal, Canada (VC). Production at domestic plants had been curtailed and needs were higher than expected at that stage of the war, hence the outsourced contract. Several million rounds were produced for US Army use, and contrary to all US-made military cal. 30 rifle ammo of the same period, these were non-corrosive.

Some say DAQ also produced cal. 50 ammo for US Army use, but I have no sources to check at the moment, I am writing out of memory.

Of course, here I am referring only to Canadian production for the US, Canada may well have been producing other types of ammo in US military calibers (such as cal. 45 M1911, and so on) for Commonwealth use.

cheers

Guest J_Andrews

8mm was produced in Canada both for the BESA (VZ37 variant) coaxial tank MGs used throughout the Brit Commonwealth (until replaced by M1919-types, late in the war) and for the Chinese, for use in their Mauser rifles, Maxim and Colt-Browning M1917-type MGs AND all those Canadian-made 8mm BREN GUNS.

Somebody -- an ammo collector -- once told me that the Canadian 8mm also went, during the war, to various Latin American Allies, such as Chile and Brazil, but I cannot vouch for this at all.

Guest patches
In 1945, contracts for producing cal. 30 M2 ball rifle ammo were awarded by Ordnance to Dominion Arsenal, Canada (DAQ) and Verdun Arsenal, Canada (VC). Production at domestic plants had been curtailed and needs were higher than expected at that stage of the war, hence the outsourced contract. Several million rounds were produced for US Army use, and contrary to all US-made military cal. 30 rifle ammo of the same period, these were non-corrosive.

Some say DAQ also produced cal. 50 ammo for US Army use, but I have no sources to check at the moment, I am writing out of memory.

Of course, here I am referring only to Canadian production for the US, Canada may well have been producing other types of ammo in US military calibers (such as cal. 45 M1911, and so on) for Commonwealth use.

cheers

Thank's so much, this basically answer,s most of the question's i asked when i posted this topic.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Camp_Kearny
Thank's so much, this basically answer,s most of the question's i asked when i posted this topic.

The Canadian 6th Division was equipped with US uniforms, equipment, and weapons and were to be deployed alongside US Troops. The Canadians were planning to adopt the M1 after WWII, but decided to stick with the Enfields due to large amount of surplus weapons and ammunition. I'm sure some of our members from Canada can shed some light on production of 30'06 in Canada during WWII.

Guest OLD RSM

Hi Guy's

Canada made M2 Ball 30-06 from 1945 until about the 1960's We had Browning M1919A4 until converted to 7.62X51 NATO C1 and C5 GPMG.All Canadian made Fighting Vehicles were fitted Browning MG and used a lot of 30-06.

Cheers Gerry

Guest OLD RSM

Hi Guy's

Canada made M2 Ball 30-06 from 1945 until about the 1960's We had Browning M1919A4 until converted to 7.62X51 NATO C1 and C5 GPMG.Below is a link to head stamps for US and Canadian made.All Cananian made Fighting Veh were fitted Browning MG and used a lot of 30-06.

Cheers Gerry

• 7 years later...

I was in the 101st ABN DIV (AASLT) during BRIMFROST 85 at Fort Wainwright, AK. The Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry were the opposing forces during the exercise. I was surprised that in 1985 they were still using Browning M1919s on their vehicles and even mounted some on sleds used by the PPCLI infantry plts.