German Police M1 Carbine,1946

Guest 124cav

US M1 Carbines were issued to German Police during the occupation so the US Military Government could keep track of them and the US ammunition that fit them. Military Governernment occupation regulations stated that the German Police should only be re-armed with non-German made firearms insofar as possible. This included pistols as well as rifles and machine pistols.

Some of these M1 carbines have been re-imported into the US and were sold through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. You can go to the CMP website and find a tutorial on the ones that were issued by US MG authorities in Bavaria and Austria. Most of these will have interesting property markings to both the Bavarian and Austrian Police.

Guest Jack's Son

Reminds me of a few hunting trips I took as a younger man. Rifle over my shoulder, whiskey at the ready!! :lol:

These are German Policemen qualifying with their M1 Carbines under the supervision of the US Constabulary.

Here is an example of these wartime US carbines that were issued by the occupying powers. This one was made by Underwood in 1943 and is standard US issue. These were issued to various Bavarian Police organizations including, Municipal Police, Rural Police, Forestry Police, Prison Police, etc. This one is property marked "Bavaria Rural Police" (Gendarmerie) on the top rail of the receiver. These were typically issued with the P1 back sights and no provision for a bayonet lug. The German Police armorers often reworked them and stamped serial numbers on the stocks and/or used German made replacement parts. This particular carbine was later sold by the German Police to the Austrian Gendarmerie and is also property marked to the "Land Gendarmerie Kommando Steyrmark" on the trigger guard.

Bavarian_Pol_M1.JPG

Bavarian_Rural_Pol_marking_.JPG

Sarge,

NICE carbine! My dad recently picked up one of the Bavarian Rural Police carbines and it is virtually identical to the one you posted. :thumbsup: