DAK Desert Camo Helmet Found In Malta

Bugme

Found this one in Malta while working missions there. A guy we know has a home in Rabat and he invited me over to see his "collection" room. He is a pack rat and calling it a collection room is being kind since it looks more like an unorganized antique mall. Anyhow, my eye for all things militaria fell on the M35, DAK Double Decal, Luftwaffe, Desert Camo'd, helmet. I asked about it, he said he'd had it for over 30 years. He didn't know what it was except a WW2 German helmet. Long story short, we worked a deal, he was thrilled to sell it and I was thrilled to buy it. It is as I found it.

20180625_091130.jpg

20180625_091232.jpg

20180625_092439.jpg

20190101_145425.jpg

20190101_145443.jpg

20190101_145405.jpg

20190101_145347.jpg

Thanks Eric! I kinda stepped away from TR and Imperial helmets several years ago, sold most of them and focused on U.S. helmets. However, this one pretty much has a story to tell even if unattributed. I looked at this and saw the story.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a beauty. The DAK helmets have always interested me due to the different tone to the pigment in the paint them other parts of the Med. Nice find, Gregg

Thanks guys! And Gregg, I am also interested in the paints used like the "pink" tan used on this one. I am not an expert on the North African colors but, I was told the pink tone was actually captured British paint. Interesting thought.

Thats the debate.

However.......

British equipment has yet to be found painted in it.

Is the eagle dug out or was it masked before painting ?

owen

Thanks Owen, I have heard both sides, pro and con, about Brit Paint as well. I am not educated enough on this to say either yay or nay.

As for the Luft eagle, it appears that the paint was scraped off shortly after it was painted, maybe while the paint was still somewhat soft. At least that is how it appears to me after spending some time looking it over with a loupe. How ever it was done, the decal remained pretty much undamaged.

Very nice helmet, may I ask what is a "snake leg" as Eric called it ?

Tony

The first pattern eagle is called "snake leg" because the left leg has a slight curl like a snake instead of being straight.

That is a beauty DD Luft DAK! It really does have that "been there, done that" look to it. If only some of these pieces could talk the stories they could tell.

That is a beauty DD Luft DAK! It really does have that "been there, done that" look to it. If only some of these pieces could talk the stories they could tell.

The fact that it ended up in Malta, less than 100 miles from where fighting occurred in North Africa does get me wondering about the story behind it but, it appears the story is lost in time.

The first pattern eagle is called "snake leg" because the left leg has a slight curl like a snake instead of being straight.

Nice early M35....As I understand it the snake legs are typically early in the eagle decals.Would fit in with an early double decal.I have a double decal luft with the same eagle.

Great find!!...a good one blink camo is always hard to leave behind.

what's the lot # on it?

I have no clue. It has been shipped back to my home in the U.S. but, I'm still 5000 miles away in Malta.

Nice early M35....As I understand it the snake legs are typically early in the eagle decals.Would fit in with an early double decal.I have a double decal luft with the same eagle.

Great find!!...a good one blink camo is always hard to leave behind.

Thanks Ron, the one looker aspect is what made me pull the trigger. To leave it here would have haunted me.

Super helmet! Super find! Congrats! Bob

Thanks Bob, you know what they say: even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. This was my nut.

• 2 weeks later...