WWII Luftwaffe Honor Goblets

bobgee

In addition to USMC medals etc. I have developed a passion for the Luftwaffe Ehrenpokal (Honor Goblet), One of the very few TR awards that are named to a recipient and therefore have good research potential for getting service info on the recipient, I also find them a very handsome aviation award, First awarded in 1940 it ts estimated that between 13,000 and 15,000 were actually presented though quite a number more were awarded on paper. They were awarded with a document. Here is a pic of one in my collection awarded to a gunner on a JU-88 bomber who also was awarded a German Cross in Gold.

BRECHTERS GROUP 2.jpg

BRECHTERS 1 KG-51.jpg

Here's a pic of another Ehrenpokal from my collection. The recipient, Hans Schoefbeck, was one of the relatively small number of transport pilots to be awarded the Knight's Cross for bravery flying his JU-52 during the Stalingrad battle. He also was awarded the German Cross in Gold, finishing the war as a Leutnant and POW.

image1 (2).jpeg

This aviator, Ofw Heinrich- Wilhelm Ahnert, was credited with 57 aerial victories flying the Bf-109 fighter before he was shot down and killed in Russia in August 1942 on the day he was to receive his Knight's Cross. This photo has had the KC added later. He was a member of JG-52 the highest scoring Luftwaffe fighter group in WWII.

Ahnert pokal 003.jpgAHNERT.jpg

Bob you and I have alot in commion. In addition to pre WWII USMC items, I also have an early 1942 dated solid silver goblet. I have not done mnuch research on mine but find it beautiful. The man I purchased it from recalled in the 1970's, he had a set of four that his family used to drink iced tea from. Times have changed I think. I was taken by Luftwaffe/RAF Battle of Britain material some years ago and still have a corner of my collection emphasizing this time period. Thanks for sharing your ehren-pokals! Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...