Rare WWII AFS Adrian Of Ambulance Driver Bertrand Hutchinson

Bugme

This is a rare WWII American Field Service helmet(Adrian) belonging to Bertrand Hutchinson. How I came upon this helmet is incredibly amazing but, the short story is that the guy who inherited the Costa Mesa, CA storage unit this came out of, sold it to me.

COURTESY OF THE ARCHIVES OF THE AMERICAN FIELD SERVICE:

• When: WWII
  • Where: France
  • Category of People: WWII Driver
  • Last Name: Hutchinson
  • Given Name(s): Bertrand
  • Decorations: Decorated in WWII(Croix de Guerre)
  • Unit (WWII): FR 40-1

IMG_20170422_182555212.jpg

IMG_20170422_221217378.jpg

IMG_20170422_201054490.jpg

These WWII versions of the AFS helmet are so rare that until I found this one, the only one I'd ever seen was this drawing.post-14792-0-77955600-1433264859.jpg

Outstanding lid. I thought they only existed during WW1. Congrats! Bob

The AFS was not nearly as active in WWII as in WWI. This is why most have never heard of their participation. During World War II, the American Field Services volunteer force was stationed in Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, India, and Burma. AFS Drivers served near the front lines alongside Allied soldiers.

There were approximately 2,200 AFS Drivers that served by the end of the the 2nd World War. However, even though they were small in number, they collectively carried over 700,000 casualties to safety.

Here is a photo of two AFS volunteers in WWII proudly wearing their Adrian's. Unfortunately, the one on the right is wearing a common infantry badge on his helmet and not the WWII AFS badge. I cannot make out what the guy on the left has on his but, it has the appearance of a WWI AFS badge.

WWII One.jpg

Guest Vellocino

Wow, beautiful helmet I am starting to really appreciate WWI & II period Adrian helmet, and yours is such scarce helmet with insignia that I will looking to find one someday. Wonder why they were not assigned a M1917A1 US steel helmet available since 1939.

Thx for showing it.

Vellocino

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, beautiful helmet I am starting to really appreciate WWI & II period Adrian helmet, and yours is such scarce helmet with insignia that I will looking to find one someday. Wonder why they were not assigned a M1917A1 US steel helmet available since 1939.

Thx for showing it.

Vellocino

Technically, the AFS drivers were not considered U.S. soldiers, they were American college volunteers to the French Army so, they received French gear. Thus, the Adrian helmets on American heads.

• 2 months later...

I love AFS helmets and always enjoy seeing them!

Thanks Farhaan! Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks in Louisville.