Fake SS Helmet turns out to be real

Bob Hudson

I bought this from a guy who had a bunch of fake SS stuff his father bought decades ago. He had a fantastic mostly-German weapons collection and his son said the non-weapons stuff was bought just for display with the weapons.

I helped him sell many thousands of dollars of guns and and spent a lot of money buying some TR field gear that was not faked. I think one of the gun buyers bought the fake SS daggers, hats and uniform. At the end of the process The son offered me this helmet, which we both assumed had to be fake ("If it's too good to be true...."). I was bummed that someone had ruined a great helmet with a fake decal. But his price was tempting: $200 for both.

Turns out this one was real!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Incredible Bob and the condition is fabulous! These are the good guy stories we all like to hear.

Super piece Bob. Just what you like to see (in terms of wear and condition). How many offers to "double your money" have your gotten?

Very cool. Id love to own one someday but even with all of my reference books Im hesitant to buy one unless its from a vet or his family or Im with someone on this forum!

I saw some awesome looking ones for sell at various Belgian museums but couldnt bring myself to buy one.

If you think this helmet is something, you should have seen the guns: mostly Imperial & TR Germany and most in tip-top shape Wish I had photos of those.

Blackhawkdown

Very cool! In my 45 years of collecting I have never run into an SS helmet out of the woodwork. I have found SS Daggers including a full SS Rohm and a full SS Himmler, miscellaneous insignia, cuff titles, belt buckles but never a helmet! Had to sell the Rohm to finance my daughters college education, now I wish I had asked for a family loan. The SS Rohm is out there somewhere, bench marked 15141

Now that's amazing Bob, wow!

It's nice to hear a story about someone getting something real being sold as a fake, rather than the usual stories of the opposite situation. : )

• 2 weeks later...

Nice score! I am hoping to have a free one today! Fingers crossed, I found one in a local museum and they want to transfer it to my museum. Its an M42 single decal in decent shape along with a very nice light weight police helmet. Scott

• 3 weeks later...