90. Panzergrenadier Division SdKfz 251

Rakkasan187

Here are two photos I have had for a long time. I was able to identify the unit by the bumper markings. I am positive the unit formation is that of the 90. Panzergrenadier Division.

This unit was formed in Sardinia from the Division Sardinien to replace the destroyed 90. Leichte Afrika Division. It was moved to Corsica before being transferred to northern Italy. It fought at Anzio, Rome, the Caesar and Gothic Lines and the Po River.

It was destroyed near Bologna, Italy, April 1945.

If you look at the divisional marking on the right front bumper of the halftrack you can see what appears to be the outline of the island of Sardinia with the sword going through the middle.

Some interesting equipment and camouflage can also be seen.

Enjoy..

Leigh

post-185119-0-20371000-1540165470.jpg

post-185119-0-22781600-1540165481.jpg

post-185119-0-13147800-1540165499.jpg

Yep that's what it is, plus another clue is the whole scale wearing of tropical caps and more than likely tunics and pants, a unit like this were issued large amounts of these uniform items from unissued stocks intended for the Africa Korps or unit's to be sent to Tunisia. Indeed their use was wide spread in the Italian theater right up to the end, the Luftwaffe too. they using their own unique shade of the stuff, the unique cut of their tunics and pants. In addition, though hard to tell, that one standing with the camo smock may be one made out of Italian Camouflage material, the material of their poncho/shelter half/ground sheets, this being another clue.

The light-sh color of the sword may be Yellow? Maybe Pink? or perhaps it's Light Green, probably Light Green, the divisional units I seem to recall had the sword in their branch color, IE Panzer=Pink, Armored Engineer (Panzer Pioneer)=Black,,Armored Reconnaissance (Panzer Aufklaerung)=Yellow, Armored Infantry (Panzer Grenadier)= Light Green etc.

• 1 year later...
Rakkasan187

Here is an update..

I was able to find a Sardinian Shield in a mixed lot of insignia a few months ago on Ebay. It was a BIN for only $20.00 and I knew as soon as I saw it what it was... This was a cap badge that was given to members of the 90th PZGD. There was also a paper certificate for this badge.

Leigh

Sardinia shield b.jpg

IMG_20200510_151650112_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Sardina Shielda.jpg

Proud Kraut

Leigh,

you´ll probably already IDed them: two of the metal insignia you have bought with the 90. ID badge are very early Bundeswehr branch insignia.

Kragenabzeichen.jpg