KKW Polizei 22. caliber Trainer

SARGE

Gents,

I thought I would show a KKW Police Trainer in .22cal.

This is a K. K. Wehrsportgewehr (KKW) made by Gustloff-Werke for the German Police as a training rifle. It was made as similar to a standard Kar.98k as possible being the same overall size, weight, and configuration as the standard military carbine. The rifle was made in .22cal as a single shot bolt action instead of an 8mm bolt action repeater. These rifles also have a bayonet lug and a stacking/cleaning rod suitable for the smaller bore of the barrel. The factory slings were commercial manufacture (not the standard cross hatched military slings) and came with a D ring adjustment buckle instead of a roller buckle adjustment. This sling is a commercial model of black smooth leather and does have a roller buckle so it is a correct style of replacement sling. This rifle is Eagle/C Police inspection marked on the left side of the chamber next to the Eagle/N Nitro proof. It is also serial numbered in a known serial number range for these Police trainers made by Gustloff.

KKW right.JPG

KKW left.JPG

KKW bayonet lug.JPG

KKW Pol marking.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the kudos gentlemen. I was very happy to find this police trainer in this condition. Interestingly, Gustloff-Werk provided most of the KKW trainers to the Schutzpolizei. They are mostly found in a narrow serial number range so we suppose that the police placed a fairly large order for them circa 1940 or thereabouts.

This is an interesting company as it started out as Simson & Co. which morphed into Berlin-Suhler Waffen- und Fahrzeugwerke (BSW). This company was siezed by the Nazis, and became Simson-BSW before the KKW was produced. BSW did make the other .22 caliber trainer styled as the Deutsches Sportmodell (DSM) and then made the KKW until the company name changed once again to Gustloff-Werke. All this makes the serial number date ranges difficult to sort through.

BTW, there is an excellent new book on trainers that is just out. Expensive but well worth it. "Training Rifles of the Third Reich Germany" by Robert Simpson, ISBN# 978-0-9727815-2-7 has excellent clear photographs and is very well researched.

• 3 months later...

The TR trainers are wonderful to shoot. I had a very nice trainer made by Walther that was complete to the aluminum rack tag and sling. I quit shooting it, as I didn't want

to break any parts