Bahnschutzpolizei Peaked Cap

SARGE

Gents,

I thought I would show an example of the blue peaked cap for the Bahnschutzpolizei (Railway Police) wearing the blue uniform. The blue uniform was worn by the Railway Police stationed in Germany while the blue-gray uniform was worn by personnel stationed outside of the Reich. This cap is the NCO version in blue with grey piping and metal insignia. The distinctive Bahnschutzpolizei eagle is worn above the wreath which has a winged railway wheel motif surrounding the national cockade. The black leather chinstrap is secured by two plain black painted buttons typically worn by police NCOs. The interior is the typical orange colored oil cloth seen on German enlisted Schrimmutzen (peaked caps) like this. The interior is a bit rough but the exterior is very nice.

BZP NCO cap right.JPG

BZP NCO cap.JPG

BZP NCO cap insig.JPG

BZP NCO cap interior.JPG

BZP NCO cap label.JPG

The diamond shaped celluloid shield in the cap is too deteriorated to be able to clearly read the maker. However, I can make out that this cap is a "Reichsbahn Kleiderkasse" cap which means it was made as a specific item of issue type of regulation grade cap. I believe this designation indicates that the uniform cap was purchased, or issued, from an authorized uniform supplier or depot.

I have also been able to make out that the cap was a product of August Muller according to the sweat shield. The leather liner band is also embossed with the "Deutsche Leder" logo.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx for showing your cap, i never have seen one before, looks in great condition also, can never see enough great items, a plus to your collection i am sure. thanx Gerard

Thank you for the kudos Gerard. For some reason the blue-grey uniform, and cap, are more often seen than the blue examples. These are nicely made caps with black velvet bands and a nice saddle shape.

Thanks for looking Paul. This "Kleiderkasse" style cap is also interesting for the interior construction. It only has the orange oil cloth lining in the top of the cap. The lining does not continue down the interior sides as one might expect from the standard construction of a saddle form Schirmmutze or a plate shaped Klappmutze. However, this form of construction seems to be fairly common on different Railway (Deutsche Reichsbahn) peaked caps. So, here we have a case of a known variation in the construction of a NS Zeit peaked cap that is 100% correct.

BTW, I posted an example of the Bahnschutzpolizei (Bzp) uniform that this cap goes with in the uniform section.

http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/313482-bahnschutzpolizei-blue-uniform/

Cool. You just answered the question I posted in the other thread... can you share images of the uniform and hat together? What a set.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate your remarks. I just posted the blue-grey version of the Railway Police uniform so I thought I better post an example of the blue-grey Bzp peaked cap.

I thought I would show an example of the blue-grey peaked cap for the Bahnschutzpolizei (Bzp.) wearing the lighter color blue-grey uniform. The dark blue uniform was worn by the Railway Police stationed in Germany while the blue-gray uniform was worn by personnel stationed outside of the Reich in occupied areas. This cap is the NCO version in blue-grey with grey piping and metal insignia. The eagle is worn above the wreath which has a sparks motif on the wreath that is surrounding the national cockade. The black leather chinstrap is secured by two plain black painted buttons as typically worn by police NCOs. The interior is the typical oil cloth seen on German enlisted Schrimmutzen (peaked caps) like this.

​Actually, this insignia is an anomaly. This particular Bzp cap has incorrect Postschutz (Postal Police) insignia instead of the very similar Bahnschutz metal eagle and wreath. This cap was brought back after the war by a US Soldier who found it in a German Railway Station. He stated this was the insignia that was on the cap when he retrieved it, so I have left it this way. It is possible that there were no Banschutzpolizei insignia immediately available near the end of the war and the Railway Policeman put the similar Postschutz insignia on his cap to replace a broken one. Who knows for certain? The cap itself is a Clemens Wagner Bzp. NCO cap. Most of these blue-grey Bahnschutz caps collectors encounter seem to have been made by this maker.

Bahnschutz cap eagle.JPG

Bahnschutz cap eagle reverse.JPG

Bahnschutz peaked cap.JPG

Bahnschutz peaked cap side.JPG

Bahnschutz peaked cap interior.JPG

• 3 weeks later...