Baumholder Training Area under the Wehrmacht

Proud Kraut

There has been a museum opened in the former Baumholder Gasthaus "Zum goldenen Engel". It's about the history of Baumholder and the US Forces garrisoned in the town since the 1950's.

Proud Kraut

The museum was opened in September 2018 in the center of Baumholder in the former Gasthaus "Goldener Engel". It deals with the history of Baumholder and the region the city is located. Of course it tells the story of the military that played such an important role for the history of the town and the whole region. Some impressions:

BH 1.jpg

Proud Kraut

The relation to the U.S. garrison is one main focus of this excellent made museum. Stairway to the "U.S. floor" (and yes, the first look on the split Jeep was killing me nearly).

BH 4.jpg

Proud Kraut

BH 12.jpg

BH 13.jpg

The lady that gave us the tour really regretted that U.S. soldiers aren't allowed to leave the barraks in uniform any more to visit the city. This fact and the force reductions of course limited meetings between the soldiers and the inhabitants extremly. Much more to see in this fine museum, well worth a trip if you are visiting the area.

• 2 years later...
snake36bravo

Fantastic post! Would love to see something like this for Graf and Vilseck!! ]

Here's a picture taken from across the street of our family home in Michelfeld i.d.Oberpfalz showing a convoy of trucks passing in front of our house. I remember the flares and vehicle convoys with their yellow rotating beacon lights and the ever present Gamma Goats during my time growing up. Things had changed so much when I went back to bury my Onkel in 2011. 

2133310948_Michelfeldconvoy2.jpg.6b76663c3b3f4bf4b2c9a9ae0487d6b1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 6:04 AM, Proud Kraut said:

Leigh,

1987 must have been the time when Baumholder was the garrison of 8th Infantry Division's elements, right? I'm asking because I would like to narrow down the timeframe the depicted 8 th InfDiv NCO Academy`s patch was worn. Do you remember seeing this patch (on the left) when being there?

Lars

8th id.jpg

Lars,

I am so sorry for not replying to you sooner.. I don't seem to visit here as often as I should.. I will have to look through some of my photos to see if I have any showing the cadre wearing the insignia.. I don't recall seeing anything like that but that was 34 years ago and all I seem to remember were the wall locker inspections and the PT and Drill and Ceremony evaluations we had to do...

Leigh 

Leigh, no problem, good to meet you again "over here"! Would be great if we could find out more about this patch. Thanks for your efforts!

Lars