Israeli Defence Force Composite Helmet

Bugme

I am not a modern composite helmet collector and seldom drift out of U.S. helmets but, when something catches my eye, I will stray out of my norm and venture into something else. In this case, I've always had a soft spot for Israel and the IDF so, I just acquired this one from Peter Suciu who is moving some of the helmets from the estate of Dr. Bob Clawson and his Cold War collection.

Used from the mid-70's into the 90's, this one is a clean example of the style of helmet used during the 1982 invasion of Lebanon. I won't see this thing for several more months when I finally return to the U.S. but, Peter took some very good photo's to post.

Israeli1.jpg

• 1 month later...
nagmashdriver

I wore these things daily in my Nachal infantry service 1986-1988 and reserves through 1994. Relatively comfortable, for a helmet! Called "Kaplast" in Hebrew, a compound word for "Kazda plasti", meaning simply "plastic helmet".

I wore these things daily in my Nachal infantry service 1986-1988 and reserves through 1994. Relatively comfortable, for a helmet! Called "Kaplast" in Hebrew, a compound word for "Kazda plasti", meaning simply "plastic helmet".

Did not know this, thanks for the information.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent example. The interior looks like a primitive version of the velcro padding now common in U.S. helmets.

nagmashdriver

Been slowly but surely scanning my two photo albums from my IDF service into the computer for uploading to various facebook pages and Internet discussion forums such as this one. In this photo we are patrolling the Bani Suela neighborhood of Gaza during pre-Intifada disturbances.

post-185474-0-95990200-1557425032.jpg

• 1 year later...