Luftwaffe Flight Clasps - "Frontflugspangen"

bobgee

Luftwaffe combat aircrew were awarded combat clasps for participation in combat missions.

They were established in January 1941 and initially recognized crews of fighters, bombers and recon aircraft. The basic badge was identical for each with a distinctive center device. Later badges were developed for transport, night-fighter and ground attack crews. They were awarded for various numbers of flights depending on the mission and the time in which they were awarded, starting with a bronze badge, then a silver and a gold. Later pendents were attached below the gold badge to reflect additional combat missions. They came in a titled box and each was accompanied by an appropriate document. The badges were worn above any ribbons on the upper left breast of the tunic.

They are an interesting study in aviation insignia. Displayed is a set that was awarded to a bomber crewman.

c_8426.jpgunnamed (2).jpgc_8427.jpgc_8428.jpg

Outstanding examples of Luftwaffe Flight Clasps. The identified cased examples, and the three Urkunde to another airman, make up the total story on these clasps. Thanks for showing.

Here is a combat clasp in Bronze for Recon aircrew with the award document. Note the similarity except for the center device.

RECON CLASP_BRONZE OBV.jpg

RECON CLASP_BRONZE REV.jpg

IMG_20160930_0003.jpg

This is a Gold Bomber Combat Clasp with Hanger. A late war production in zinc it has lost most of its gold color finish on the obverse. The reverse retains a good deal of it. The hanger was obviously attached in the field as evidenced by the solder on the small links. This was not unusual. Still a scarce badge. The document shown was awarded to a Stuka pilot who was awarded the Knight's Cross in 1944. The photo is him after the award ceremony and he's wearing his badges including his Gold Combat Badge with Hanger.

Combat clasp w hanger OBV.jpg

Combat clasp w hanger REV.jpg

DOSE SPANGE DOC GOLD w-HANGER.jpg

Ernst Gadermann and Paul Dose.jpg

All very nice examples of clasps, are there any maker marks on these clasps? I picked up a few clasps from a Lt Colonels estate a few years ago and of the 3 clasps I picked up not a single clasp had a makers mark.

All very nice examples of clasps, are there any maker marks on these clasps? I picked up a few clasps from a Lt Colonels estate a few years ago and of the 3 clasps I picked up not a single clasp had a makers mark.

All are un-marked except the Bomber Clasp with Pendent. That is marked .S.S which is R.S.S. but the R is not showing.

• 4 months later...