Paratrooper "Training" Smock

Eric Queen

I think I was around 15 years old at the time. An acquaintance of my father, a collector who lived in Northern California, gave him a call saying that a friend of his from the UK had sent him a German paratrooper training smock. He didn't have much interest in it and would most likely pass on it. He wondered if we had any interest so he wouldn't have to send it back. So, the next day we got in the car and my dad drove me to the collectors place about 4 hours away. When I saw the smock I knew I had to have it. I paid him what his contact was asking for the smock and we were on our way home. Still a great memory of time I spent with my dad.

Here is the smock when I got it.

M380002 x.jpg

So, the question is, is it really a "training" smock? The answer is no but there is a reason why people thought so years ago. This is in reality an extremely rare M38 combat smock which was worn in combat during the invasion of the low countries in April/May of 1940. Here is a photo of paratroopers wearing the M38 smock in combat in Holland May 10, 1940

german-paratroopers-in-holland-1940.-war-relics-forum.jpg

I am going to guess thatis as rare or even rarer than the standard combat uniforms. What a great Dad you had to drive you on an 8 hour round trip to support your hobby and interests. Sometimes it is not about the items you collect, but rather how you acquired them. Great story.

Here is a photo of my friend Gerhard Broder wearing the M38 smock just prior to the mid April 1940 combat jump at Dombas (Norway)

B7 x.jpg

After the Operation Yellow (low countries 1940) campaign, the smock underwent a design change based on lessons learned in combat. It was concluded that the garment needed pockets. This gave birth to the M40 step in smock which had 4 (2 upper, 2 lower) zipper pockets. The (now obsolete) M38 smocks still in service or in stock (unissued) were either sent to the jump schools to be used by trainees (thus the misnomer "training" smock) or had pockets added (and reissued for combat wear)

Here below is an example of an M38 smock which has had pockets added. You can see a clear difference in the shade of the GM material (pocket flaps vs the body of the smock)

M38 2 x.jpg

I am going to guess that is as rare or even rarer than the standard combat uniforms. What a great Dad you had to drive you on an 8 hour round trip to support your hobby and interests. Sometimes it is not about the items you collect, but rather how you acquired them. Great story.

You are absolutely right Gil. The reason the smock means so much to me is not because of it's rarity but rather because it's a reminder of that day with my dad.

• 2 weeks later...

After the Operation Yellow (low countries 1940) campaign, the smock underwent a design change based on lessons learned in combat. It was concluded that the garment needed pockets. This gave birth to the M40 step in smock which had 4 (2 upper, 2 lower) zipper pockets. The (now obsolete) M38 smocks still in service or in stock (unissued) were either sent to the jump schools to be used by trainees (thus the misnomer "training" smock) or had pockets added (and reissued for combat wear)

Here below is an example of an M38 smock which has had pockets added. You can see a clear difference in the shade of the GM material (pocket flaps vs the body of the smock)

Great photo and thanks for posting the items.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...