Regimental Steins & Other Personal Service Souvenirs

bobgee

The German Regimental beer stein is a colorful, seriously collected souvenir of the the Imperial German military. In the late 19th century conscription or a draft was mandatory. All able-bodied males were required to serve a minimum of 2 years service. In most cases a group was mustered into a company in their home areas as recruits. They trained together and stayed together for the entire 2 years. In the mid 1890s the Reservists as they approached completion of their time in the army, they often made purchases of souvenirs to commemorate their experience. Most popular, especially in the Bavarian states were beer steins. On almost every regimental stein will be found the motto, "Errinerung an Meine Dienstzeit" - In Memory of my Service Time. Many other decorations including patriotic mottoes and scenes related to their service time appear as well, including the soldier's name, his unit and often a roster of his comrades with whom he served.

Most common to be found are steins to Infantry units. Most are made of porcelain and have a lithopane on the bottom. This is a picture which can be seen when held up to the light. Often it is of a German leader or a soldier and his fraulein. These steins are generally made to hold a 1/2 liter of beer and are so marked. They came with an ornate pewter lid usually with a finial of a soldier. Often they have an ornate thumb lift which is sometimes the coat of arms of the state. The purchase of Regimental steins generally ceased in 1914 with the beginning of WWI though other type beer steins and mugs continued to be produced with military and patriotic motifs.

A word of caution - if you encounter a nice stein with dates back around 1905 and it has a naked lady in the lithopane - walk away it's a repro! Repro steins have been coming out of Germany since the 1960s and some recent fakes are scary good!

Here's a few pics of a typical "Reservistenkrug". This man was a Dragoon - a mounted lancer, who served from 1907 to 1910 in Karlsruhe with the Baden Leib Dragoon Regt. No, 20. Note that he served 3 years instead of 2. This was required if a man desired to serve in a mounted unit. These guys were the glory boys of the day! His stein is adorned with a Dragoon figure as the finial (he's lost his lance over the years!) and Baden thumb lift. This stein has lots of action pictures and patriotic slogans.

This is a quick look at the Regimental Beer Stein as a great historic collectible. These were private purchases and soldier chose to purchase these or not. He might have chosen a souvenir pipe or a schnapps flask instead or nothing.........

BEER STEIN MUTTER 2.jpg

BEER STEIN MUTTER 1.jpg

20181027_161653.jpg

20181027_161920.jpg

20181027_125848.jpg

Here's post card pic of 4 soldiers nearing the end of service - 2 of whom proudly display their beer steins.

GERMAN SOLDIER STEIN PHOTO.jpg

Nice stein. German maker Thewalt is one of the reproduction makers. I love the regimental steins but have yet to take the dip and get a real one. The one that I have I knowingly purchased as a quality reproduction and can attest as is stated by Bobgee they are very very good copies.

Another personal souvenir of the Imperial German soldier was the schnapps flask. Adorned in the same manner as the regimental steins they provided a memory of their service years. Here's a few pics.

20181027_161836.jpg

20181027_162023.jpg

20181027_162110.jpg

Also the reservist might buy a pipe, again with bowl adorned in the same fashion. These pipes were often very long in length as the user might sit for his smoke with the pipe resting on the floor. Here's a few pics of a pipe bowl that was owned by a member of a machine gun unit and which shows the m.g. on the bowl. The bowl is topped by a lid, in this case a well articulated spiked helmet. This pipe is about 24 inches in length.

20181027_170607.jpg

20181027_170543.jpg

20181027_170655.jpg

20181027_170636.jpg

Hope you found this brief overview of Regimental souvenirs interesting.......Bobgee

I couldnt agree more that these represent a great and interesting collectible. I have several steins, a flask and one pipe as well. Here is what they looke like on display. Thanks for sharing!

post-185153-0-01142500-1540757981_thumb.jpg

post-185153-0-65655500-1540757987_thumb.jpg

Beautiful stein, Kevin. I love that lid! I have the night scene on 1 or 2 of mine but agree it's not often seen. Thanks! Bob

Wowza, I have never seen an early second division stein like that! I am in love. That covers my love of steins and WWI Marines both! Thanks for sharing, I never knew that even existed.

Great WWI 2nd Division German-made souvenir, I've got one. Found on EBay a few years ago, They are small about 6 or inches tall, Still - a neat piece! Bob

LOL - I was when it arrived as size had not been mentioned. Thought about sending it back ----- but then realized it was pretty neat!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought it time to add!

Saw some at show!

PVON

Some interesting examples. When & where were they? Thanks - Bob