Me109 joystick, war trophy

warguy

This is one of my favorite Gereman collectibles. I acquired it about 15 years ago from the nephew of the WWII vet who brought it home. His uncle was on a .50 caliber gun on the ground in North Africa and brought down an Me109. He retrieved the joy stick apparently from the wreckage. I was able to mount the stick onto the base without changing anything. I ran a wood dowel through the base and then used srews through existing holes in the stick to make the display. Added a plaque describing its history and provenance as well as a photio of the vet burned onto another metal plaque, and two more small plaques with the lufwaffe eagle to the base. I really love this on., and it displays great on my Luftwaffe shelf and I always get a lot of comments from visitors. Hope you enjoy.

post-185153-0-94271800-1540758249_thumb.jpg

post-185153-0-25839900-1540758256_thumb.jpg

post-185153-0-76954200-1540758261_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments. The front plaque tells the story of the vet who acquired it. I will try to add some better photos this weekend. Thanks again. Kevin

• 2 months later...

AWESOME looking display and artifact! Good job.

Questions: I'm curious, how does one go about getting a person's image "burned" onto a metal plate? Do you know who or what companies do that kind of work? Was it done by some awards company or some place similar?

Thanks for the question. Yeah in my case, I purchased the wood base at an awards company and affixed the stick to it myself. Same awards company did the engraved plaque on the base and then took the original photo I had and burned it onto another brass plaque. Didn't even cost that much if I recall. Thanks for the nice comments.

Thank you warguy for answering my questions. I appreciate it. If I ever have something as worthy of display, I know where to go. Take care...Matt