Japanese homefront military propaganda

Bob Hudson

These colorful vintage post cards seem somewhat uniquely Japanese. I believe these are pre-WWII:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• 2 months later...

Great set! I especially like the last postcard (no. 47) in the last set of 3. The WW2 one is also very nice.

I collect Army postcards from around the Japanese Empire. Those sent back to Japan between 1941 and early 1944 are fairly common, whereas those sent from Japan to soldiers in the field are really, really scarce. Go figure.

Here's a 51st Division, 4th Field Hospital example that was mailed to Japan when the division was still in China. About a third of its troops later perished in the Battle of the Bismarck Sea, although I don't know if the 4th Field Hospital was in the convoy at the time.

post-185162-0-02427200-1547829434_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing your cards Bob! I feel these things are under-rated and overlooked.

From my limited Japanese I think I see the kanji for "Meiji" followed by the rest of the date. I would assume these are part of a set commemorating the Russo-Japanese War. Assuming that is right than there are a couple that may be Admiral Togo and the "Mikasa". Nice cards.