1967 named Royal Canadian Artillery battle dress uniform top

Tonomachi

I posted this on another site awhile ago. I was interested in this uniform because of the genuine South Vietnamese Special Forces (LLDB - Luc Luong Dac Biet) sand cast paratrooper wings pinned above the right pocket of this 1967 dated Canadian Forces Royal Artillery battle dress. It has corporal stripes, Canadian Forces SSI, Royal Canadian Artillery tabs, post war Canadian paratrooper wings and a Layer (gun layer) cuff trade badge. I didn't know that Canadians were in South Vietnam during the war but was told that that this artilleryman was probably part of the International Commission for Supervision and Control (ISCS) mission that existed from August of 1954 through June of 1974.

post-185261-0-59364000-1541012295_thumb.jpg

captainofthe7th

Another nice uniform, Tonomachi. The International Commission for Control and Supervision (ICCS, ISCS, ITC, ICC are among the many acronyms as they evolved) did have a service ribbon, but I have not learned yet how and when exactly it was worn. I have a battledress uniform that does have it for an officer who was in Cambodia in the early 1960s. Based on the ribbon that is on there, your Corporal was certainly in Cyprus.

Rob

Another nice uniform, Tonomachi. The International Commission for Control and Supervision (ICCS, ISCS, ITC, ICC are among the many acronyms as they evolved) did have a service ribbon, but I have not learned yet how and when exactly it was worn. I have a battledress uniform that does have it for an officer who was in Cambodia in the early 1960s. Based on the ribbon that is on there, your Corporal was certainly in Cyprus.

Rob

Thanks for this information.

I don't know if this BD is original and I would have to check the regulation concerning the wearing of Foreign wings.

With that said, approximately 20,000 Canadians joined the US Armed Forces and served in Vietnam. Peter Charles Lemon was awarded the Medal of Honor while serving with Company E, 2nd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_C._Lemon

Several books have been written by and about Canadians who served in Vietnam.

I personally knew several Canadians who served with Special Forces in Vietnam. Two ran Recon with CCC.

post-185365-0-37687000-1541789825.jpg

I don't know if this BD is original and I would have to check the regulation concerning the wearing of Foreign wings.

With that said, approximately 20,000 Canadians joined the US Armed Forces and served in Vietnam. Peter Charles Lemon was awarded the Medal of Honor while serving with Company E, 2nd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_C._Lemon

Several books have been written by and about Canadians who served in Vietnam.

I personally knew several Canadians who served with Special Forces in Vietnam. Two ran Recon with CCC.

attachicon.gif511B7S5C0EL_480x480.jpg

Thanks for the additional information.

• 1 month later...

That is an interesting BD Blouse, especially with the tailor's label, are there any other markings on the inside? The formation badge is Force Mobile Command (the Army) which was stood up in 1968 and lasted until the mid-1980s. It was one of several commands such as Training, Maritime and Air. I suspect the VN Wings may have been added to the BD as the wearing of foreign insignia was strictly controlled during the BD era and I have never seen foreign wings being worn on BD. As well, the blouse is missing the ribband for his VN service with the ICCS which is curious. Personally I would not separate the VN wings from the blouse until I knew for sure, but I would be consistent of the anomalies with this uniform.