Reichsgendarmerie Pickelhaube

SARGE

Gents,

I thought I would post a Reichsgendarmerie Pickelhaube for a Senior NCO. This spike helmet is sometimes confused with the Colonial Pickelhaube since the eagle plate and overall configuration is so similar.

This black leather helmet has the typical Enlisted/NCO style fingered liner and construction. It has brass fittings throughout and the large Imperial eagle front plate is very detailed with the Emperor's crown. The helmet also has the Officer style of chinstrap that was worn by Senior NCOs. Notice the helmet has only one national cockade and no state cockade as is correct. The interior is stamped with the Reichsgendarmerie property stamp on the rear visor.

The National Reichsgendarmerie was a Federal Government military police organization that policed the Reichslande of Elsass-Lothringen and similar areas. Therefore this organization was similar to the Colonial Amt and the Marine which were also Federal German (not state) organizations.

RG Helmet F.JPG

RG Helmet plate.JPG

RG Helmet R.JPG

RG Helmet L.JPG

RG Helmet interior.JPG

Thanks for the kudos guys.

The German Gendarmerie was an interesting policing organization set up on the French model. These rural policemen were considered as a part of the military structure unlike the municipal police who were generally answerable to the Ministry of the Interior. For instance, in time of war they were simply transferred from civilian police duties to the military as Field Police (Feldgendarmerie). Therefore, much of their equipment and training was military in nature. Thus, their spiked helmets and weaponry. In many cases all they had to do was to put a gorget around their neck and they became a military policeman.

Thanks for sharing! I just love it whenever anyone posts photos of Pickelhaubes. :) Always reminds me of Hogan's Heroes and "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines! However, past the cartooning portrayals of them, they are beautiful! I remember someone on USMF went into a fmaily house attic and found a box of stuff from and Uncle who had been in the Great War, and there was a bring-back Pickelhaube. The first time I ever got to see a picture of a real one, and ever since I've thought they were so cool! Thanks for sharing!

Sarge, could you please tell me the difference between an Officer's and Senior NCO's Pickelhaube, thanks!

Lars

Sure Lars.

The differences are subtle but can be seen when you look for them. In the German service the most senior Sergeants (Unteroffizier mit Portepee) could wear an Officer knot on their edged weapons (i.e. a NCO with Officer knot). These professional NCOs also had the right to wear other Officer trappings such as, during WWII, they could wear Officer chin cords on their caps. During WWI this translated to the right to wear metal scales on their spike helmets just like a commissioned Officer. So, just because a spike helmet has a metal chin strap does not always mean it was worn by an Officer. Unteroffizier mit Portepee could elect to simply wear a scaled chin strap on their issue helmet or they could purchase an Officer quality helmet to wear. Remember, Enlisted men were issued their clothing at no cost while Officers had to purchase their uniforms, just like most military establishments. So, quality depended upon the size of one's purse. If the Unteroffizier mit Portepee chose to purchase an Officer helmet there would be no way to know now if it was worn by a Senior NCO or an Officer without the Sergeant's name and rank written inside.

Part of the detective work on the Reichsgendarmerie helmet above is that in the German Police service the highest NCO rank was typically either a Meister (Senior Sergeant) or a Kriegsoffizier (wartime Officer) which was actually a temporary bump in rank similar to a Brevet-Officer or a Warrant Officer. Policemen were also often classified as Officials (Beamte) with lifetime appointments. These Officials also wore Officer uniforms but their spike helmets were slightly different and not germane here. So, we look at this helmet.

First, the helmet is an item of issue style helmet with a simple fingered leather liner and body as seen on most Enlisted spiked helmets. It is not Officer quality with a fully lined interior liner made of of leather and cloth, generally with a retailer name inside. Second, this helmet is property marked to the Reichsgendarmerie as an item of issue. Third, the brass trim is not gilt but is plain polished brass and the fittings are consistent with an issue helmet. Fourth, The chin scales are flat, instead of being scalloped and/or "fancy" in any way. Fifth, The chin strap is attached to the standard lugs on the helmet in the same manner as the leather chin strap is attached for an Enlisted man. Officer chin scales are typically attached differently with a cover disc on the swivel attachment that makes the scales look flatter and more attractive.

I hope this is helpful.

George

That is a beautiful Haube you have Sarge.

That is my first time seeing that wappen.

THe details just make it a piece of eye candy.

Thank you for sharing that one.

Semper Fi

Phil

• 1 month later...