Parachute Badges from Bulgaria

triplecanopy

Here we have a scarce Bulgarian Parachute badge that is Post-WWII and dates to around 1946. This has the Soviet star at the top with the hammer & sickle. This design was soon replaced by a similar looking badge with a plain red star omitting the Soviet emblem. This badge is multi piece construction and has great enamel craftsmanship. The wreath is Laurel and Oak leaves. Also shown is the reverse side and retaining nut.

post-185301-0-57430600-1541183249_thumb.jpg

post-185301-0-16084200-1541183309_thumb.jpg

Here are later type Parachute Badges from Bulgaria. These are from the cold war period when Bulgaria was part of the Warsaw Pact. Basic Parachutist on far right. Advanced Parachutist is in the center and Master Parachutist on the left. These all have a single threaded post with a round nut on the back for attachment to a uniform. Note the similar design style to that of the Soviet Union.

post-185301-0-30137600-1541184473_thumb.jpg

Nice badges Robert. Here is an original photo from my collection. WW2 Bulgarian paratrooper wearing the first model Bulgarian paratrooper badge and German paratrooper badges. Notice the backing material used with the German badges to make them stand out.

B10004 x.jpg

Great Parachute badges !

Eric, nice photo, and I agree they do look like the gentleman do not know where to look, unless they were instructed to look that way.

Tony

Great photo Eric. I am still looking for one of those first type Bulgarian parachute badges. I would really like to know the back story about the Bulgarian troopers in the photo.

That is a great photo as well the badge posted in the O/P. Excuse my conjecture here, but could we be looking at 2 pairs of brothers. The 2 on the left and 2 on the right? Or It could just be my old eyes seeing similarities.

• 3 years later...

Excellent photos Eric, thanks very much for sharing them.  The items in your collection are spectacular, and educational to those of us who have been chasing for years the more rare WW2 parachute qualification badges.

Stay well,

Donovan

Here is a first-pattern badge from my collection.  My understanding is that this series of badge was made in 1943 and issued to the first group of Bulgarian paratroopers, 300 men trained by the Germans at Braunschweig.  The stress chip in the enamel is apparently a manufacturing defect typically seen in this badge, even in period photos.  My guess is that the enamel on the front probably was applied first, then the attachment bolt on the back was welded on, causing the hardened enamel on the front to expand and crack.

Stay well,

Donovan

63D007E9-6A4C-4C96-A1E5-DB52AF4B8C23.jpeg

255BCC39-5E36-43EE-8E89-CA4E4087F331.jpeg

Here is an example from my collection of the second-pattern parachute qualification badge, made in 1944 by Miloshev.  My understanding is that this version was issued to the second group of Bulgarian paratroopers, 500 men trained in Bulgaria and at Kralevo airfield in occupied Yugoslavia.

Stay well,

Donovan 

Bulgaria.jpg

Bulgaria_bk.jpg