Lesser Known Side of the Luftwaffe

PaulR

I want to share some of my LW uniforms. As most of you know, I prefer the non-standard and more dismissed aspects of the service. Most of my folks are support/Administrative in nature. I hope that you all like what you see. If there are specific uniforms you want to see close-ups of or have questions on, please let me know.

I am most proud of the two Generalluftzeugmeister uniform displays.

post-185263-0-67228300-1541264154_thumb.jpg

post-185263-0-46408200-1541264175_thumb.jpg

Very interesting collection, thanks for sharing

Thank you. I've always loved the Sonderfuhrer and support fields. They are very underrepresented and rarely found.

Here is a photo of the dark Generalluftzeugmeister uniform in use.

post-185263-0-35054400-1541296449_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tony. Generalluftzeugmeister typically utilized modified captured uniform stocks and LW belt buckles. This one was French. Notice there is no eagle on the German made overseas hat. Compare with photo above.

post-185263-0-04778000-1541298288_thumb.jpg

This next Generalluftzeugmeister uniform is a converted and dyed Belgian uniform. Notice the chest eagle. It is often misidentified as a visor cap emblem. This comes from a post-war photo of a GI wearing a visor cap with the GL insignia applied. I believe these caps to be immediate post-war assembled items, put together to sell to occupying forces.

There is not one single photo I know of where a member of the GL is wearing a visor cap or the chest insignia being used as a cap device.

post-185263-0-09119300-1541298678_thumb.jpg

Fantastic group of Luftwaffe uniforms you have put in your collection.Thank you for taking the time to let us all enjoy them.Scotty

I’ve never seen a full GL tunic before. Thank you for showing these! An outstanding collection.

If it’s not too much trouble, would you post a close picture of the shoulder boards and collar tabs on the GL tunic with the red waffenfarbe?

Rob

Rob

I sure will. Please see below. Thank you for the kind words. I picked them both up at the same time from a seller who was an agent for a closing museum in Europe. I could hardly believe it- so I bought them immediately without hesitation. I dont know of any others anywhere, although there must be some out there. Even period photos are nearly impossible to find.

As you can see, the base tabs and shoulder straps are standard Flak EM.

Thank you Jay.

post-185263-0-19455800-1541390787_thumb.jpg

post-185263-0-85268700-1541390801_thumb.jpg

post-185263-0-97322600-1541390812.jpg

post-185263-0-01459100-1541390825_thumb.jpg

post-185263-0-01771800-1541390846_thumb.jpg

I’ve never seen a full GL tunic before. Thank you for showing these! An outstanding collection.

If it’s not too much trouble, would you post a close picture of the shoulder boards and collar tabs on the GL tunic with the red waffenfarbe?

Rob

My tag for you was accidentally deleted. Please see pics above.

Paul,

Thank you for the detailed pictures and info of your GL uniforms. Long ago I ended up with a GL shoulder board Ive always enjoyed. However, until yesterday I hadnt seen much GL insignia to compare it too, let alone some complete tunics.

Thanks again!

post-185331-0-28913900-1541470522_thumb.jpeg

post-185331-0-26872800-1541470550_thumb.jpeg

Great collection, the Flak Uniform is most impressive, any idea on which battalion of Flak Regiment 49 he was in, I Battalion or II, As you'll see, I Battalion is destroyed at Stalingrad, it's sister battalion following suite, it being destroyed in Operation Bagration, July 1944.

Super collection.

Really like the non standard items and not often do you see them in such detail.Thanks for posting

Thank you for the kind words. It is my pleasure. I love finding this weird stuff, often neglected by others.

An absolutely wonderful collection, thanks for sharing! I wish my spare bedroom looked just like that.. my wife on the other hand ;D

Thank you for the kind words. I definitely got lucky with having an understanding wife. It took a couple of attempts before though.

Great collection, the Flak Uniform is most impressive, any idea on which battalion of Flak Regiment 49 he was in, I Battalion or II, As you'll see, I Battalion is destroyed at Stalingrad, it's sister battalion following suite, it being destroyed in Operation Bagration, July 1944.

Thank you Sir. The tunic is named. Here is the tag!

post-185263-0-58195500-1541479293.jpg

Paul,

Thank you for the detailed pictures and info of your GL uniforms. Long ago I ended up with a GL shoulder board Ive always enjoyed. However, until yesterday I hadnt seen much GL insignia to compare it too, let alone some complete tunics.

Thanks again!

Interesting strap. The weird thing about the GL is their lack of standardization with insignia. I'd love to find something on their rank structure some day. Heck, until I bought the two uniforms, the books only addressed them as having a red waffenfarbe.