1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade

Eric Queen

I have always had and interest in this subject but rarely come across any of it. I love the early photos of the Polish paratrooper in Scotland wearing the 1st model British paratrooper helmets with the Polish eagle stenciled to the front. Here is one such photo of Clement Attlee inspecting the Polish paratroopers at Cupar, Scotland. Of course Gen. Stanislaw Sosabowski is on the right.

Polish Para0002.jpg

I was fortunate to recently obtain this piece. A friend of mine in Europe owned it for over 30 years and recently decided to down size.

Battle Dress belonging to Lance Cpl. Marian Krzyskow (3rd Bn.) He made the 9.23.1944 jump at Grave (Arnhem). Plane number 79.

DSC03325 x.jpg

Eric,

What an amazing tunic. My thesis was on the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 and know the role this unit was SUPPOSED to play in it- before Churchill prevented their utilization. This item is beyond rare and significant. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I was lucky enough to find a lot of German items and only now have my first Home Army items arriving next week.

Do you have any other Polish items?

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
captainofthe7th

Amazing blouse, Eric. It seems common to see the paper economy ribbons on Polish tunics, no? On the other hand, having an identified example seems quite rare!

Rob

Thanks for all the kind comments, I appreciate it. I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to obtain this piece. My friend also has a Polish jump helmet (44 dated British helmet with painted Polish eagle) which he has had for a number of decades. I considered that as well but it is not attributed and just too far outside my comfort zone.

Allan, you will probably appreciate these original portraits. 1st Sgt. J. Verberckmoes (B Troop, 5th [belgian] SAS) He has some interesting things going on. In the first photo he wears the Belgian flag above the British jump wings. And what could that be above his left pocket?

J Verberckmoes 2 x.jpg

That's right. Verberkmoes was one of four Belgians to qualify for the Polish jump wing. He also wears the BELGIUM tab and the pre "Who Dares Wins" Belgian lion on the SAS beret.

J Verberckmoes 1 x.jpg

Eric,

I apologize for not responding earlier, but as I was looking at the photos of your Belgian SAS operative, I began to drool which landed on the keyboard and shorted out the laptop. :lol:

I am VERY grateful for your willingness to share these photos and the artifacts from your collection. WOW!!!

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Eric !! Beautiful and rare tunic to a gallant Pole. My father served with the Polish 2 Corp during WWII and participated in the entire Italian campaign at places like Monte Cassin, Ancona and Bologna. My ties to the Polish Exile forces run very deep and I've been collecting for the better part of 30 years....although I've been fairly dormant the past several. Wonderful to see such history preserved !!! Cheers !!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...