Mexican Field and Staff Officers Sword

Kanemono

I didn't see a subject heading for Mexico so I am posting this sword in the Central and South America area. This is a 19th century Mexican Staff and Field Officer's Sword.

post-185184-0-78127900-1541347601_thumb.jpg

Bob,

That could be the maker. The etching of the name is hand written with a sharp tool into the resist material used to etch the blade and hard to read.

Paul,

The sword is of French design and french made and could be of the Maximilian period (1864-1867) of Mexican history.

Dick

I would think that it is in the earlier

Based on the Mexican coat of arms used on your sword, I'd also say earlier - in later years the Mexican crest shows the eagle's left profile, whereas earlier designs show the eagle's frontal view. In about 1916 they started using the the profile view, so your sword is pre-1916, possibly much older.

I've outlined part of the snake for our forum members with worse eyes than me. Your coat of arms shows the eagle holding the serpent's tail with its left claw, something that was done in 1893-1916, but yours has the eagle looking to its right, so it may be an even esrlier variant.

This shows basic profile and frontsl views

snake.jpg