SA marked .22 caliber K.K. Wehrsportgewehr Rifle

Kanemono

This is an another example of a prewar WWII German .22 caliber single shot training rifle. These rifles were a standard prewar training rifle that were pressed into service by the German military during the prewar days to provide a low cost training rifle to all military forces. They were specifically intended to duplicate the feel, weight and functioning of the standard K98 rifle and were used to circumvent the Treaty of Versailles which limited the number of military rifles the German Army could possess and the number of men in the armed forces. The top of the receiver ring is marked with the “RSG” logo over "Suhl" with an "eagle / N" proof mark on the left side. The right rear side of the receiver is marked " K.K. Wehrsportgewehr". The left rear side of the barrel is marked "KAL22 LANGE FUR BUCHSEN", followed by the serial number and the "eagle/N" proof mark. It has the military style inverted "V" front sight and tangent rear sight, graduated from 25-200 meters. The stock is European walnut with two barrel bands, hand guard, bayonet lug, sling swivels, and steel butt plate. The left rear of the stock is stamped with "SAd. NSDAP" in a circle. It is complete with an original WWII brown leather sling and cleaning rod.

post-185184-0-23223200-1541350397_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting your SA KKW. Yours has the standard factory sling with the D buckle adjustment whereas my Police KKW has a commercial replacement sling with the roller buckle. Notice that neither your sling, nor mine, has a leather sliding loop as is also correct for these rifle slings.

Is your muzzle cover KKW marked by chance?

I apologize for not getting back sooner. I traded my collection of .22 trainers to a friend for Civil War items. He was away until yesterday. I asked about muzzle cover marking but he sold his collection of trainers. Sorry. I will post my .22 trainer JG Anschutz "Germania Sport Modell" and check to see if the muzzle cover is marked.

Dick

• 3 months later...