Assault In Norway by Thos. Gallagher (Raid on Norsk Hydro heavy water plant)

stratasfan

Another of my favorite books. Had this one the shelf for literally years! Finally picked it up and when I started reading it . . . I couldn't put it down! This story is better than Hollywood! The commandos did the entire mission, and not one shot was fired. This book actually goes back to Fermi discovering fission in Chicago, and traces the atomic race through the manufacturing of heavy water at Norsk Hydro (originally heavy water was for plant food). Then it details how the information made it to the allies and how the commando raids began. The failed glider forces, then the small group who infiltrated the factory at night, and finally the couple men who blew up the Norsk-Hydro ferry as it was transporting the salvaged heavy water to Germany. This book also gives a fabulous insight into the Norwegian character and how they fought against occupation during the war.

Hollywood did make a movie about this story, as a widescreen colour epic with Kirk Douglas - "Heroes of Telemark". While the on-location filming is amazing and so cool to see, and the factory that looks so perfect is cool to see . . . they liberally changed fabulous fact to fiction. When, in my opinion, reality was way more impressive than making an all-out gun battle on the escape from the factory. The ferry is amazing in the detail they did. When they set the explosives, it is just how you imagine it would be! They did change the finale a bit to save some of the women and children. Understandable, for a movie, of course. However, all in all, it isn't the best portrayal, but well worth seeing for the local.

The only thing that I think could have added stars to this book was photographs. There are photographs of the main characters and commandos and places, etc. I ended up getting another book about this raid from the library, to look at pictures. I don't have to have photos in every book, but by the time you are halfway through, you feel like you know these guys. Pictures would have added to the experience. So, get the book, and look up pics online as you go! :)

post-185332-0-84559600-1541351516.jpg

No, I haven't even heard of it, but I'll take a look at the link. I know there was a Norwegian film about it, where a couple of the real guys actually appeared. I've not been able to find a copy, though.