James “Jim” Atwood

irish

Have just started reading a biography of Jim Atwood. He would be considered one of the founders of WW2 German blade collecting, as well as other 3rd Reich memorabilia. He was stationed in Berlin in the early sixties and began searching out ex WW2 dagger and sword manufacturers in Solingen. Uncovered amazing things, one offs and vast quantities. Ran afoul of the law on import issues but continued to be an early if not controversial force in collecting. A fascinating read. available on Amazon.

vintageproductions

I have been waiting for this to come out.

Supposed to be a big section written by George Petersen from when George worked for him in the 60's.

I have been waiting for this to come out.

Supposed to be a big section written by George Petersen from when George worked for him in the 60's.

Yes there is a section with George and a few other names we will all recognize. There was no deal too big for Jim Atwood or no item too rare. amazing heady stuff.

vintageproductions

I tried looking for it but only articles about Atwood pop up. What is the name of the book?

Thanks.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished slogging through my copy of the "Jim Atwood" book by Kenneth Alford and it is interesting. It was clearly written by two people, as indicated in the book, as it changes styles in a rather maddening manner as one reads from front to back. Alford will not win any literary prizes and frankly I would have thought twice before putting my name on this book.

Having said that, the book names names and is pretty up front concerning Jim Atwood's various shenanigans as a collector and arms dealer. I knew Atwood very slightly back in the sixties and had a couple of unsatisfactory deals with him back in the day. For a time he was considered a fraudster villain and there was an attempt to resurrect his name in the later part of his life. He was certainly a fascinating character and that does come through in this book although it is hard to read.

Just don't expect a literary masterpiece or even a competent narrative.