Robert Ballard's book about finding the Bismarck

stratasfan

Robert Ballard (famous for discovering the resting place of the Titanic and scores of other ships) released a book after they found the sunken Bismarck. The first half of the book is a detailed history of the Bismarck herself - from building through sinking. Then, the second half, is the fabulous story of finding her resting place. Both parts are liberally peppered with fabulous quality photographs and diagrams. This makes a well-rounded, fascinating history of the Bismarck from start to finish. Would recommend it for anyone remotely interested in Bismarck or Ballard's findings. Very cool book!

post-185332-0-49347100-1541356250.jpg

Mods . . . I seem to have posted this under Movie and TV when it should have been in Book Reports! Please move! thanks! Sorry about the mix-up!

Mods . . . I seem to have posted this under Movie and TV when it should have been in Book Reports! Please move! thanks! Sorry about the mix-up!

Hi, no problem. I have moved it to the book category.

I have not read this book in a long time, but it was a fascinating look at the wrecksite, as well as the story of the battles leading up to the sinking. Ballard's expedition was also the subject of a National Geographic special. I believe James Cameron led an expedition to the wreck (perhaps around 2005?) and a documentary was made about that too. The HMS Hood was also found around the year 1999/2001 if I remember correctly, and there was a good documentary about it, and the last living survivor (there were only three to begin with), Ted Briggs (I think that was his name), that was poignant to see.