Avenue of Spies, by Alex Kershaw

stratasfan

Well, I don't often leave negative reviews, but this is one case I felt like I should. I've been interested in the French Resistance since I was young. I've plowed through a lot of books that most consider dry as dirt and read enough French Resistance stuff to fill many, many shelves. (Not that I'm not finding new stuff to add to my to-read list, just I have already done a lot!) I got this "Avenue of Spies" because my Dad had read Kershaw's "The Few" and liked it, and my Sis had read his book on the Tang and two others and not liked them. So, I thought I would try one, and try one on a subject that I could make an informed opinion on.

While his writing style may be what is liked today . . . I found what he chose to tell about was distasteful and unnecessary. The overall story didn't need some of the detail and description that he chose to put in. Bits that had nothing to do with the main plot, but had to have been included just for the "thrill". The French Resistance doesn't need to wallow in overt details of his opinion of Polish prisoners or anything else like that. The French Resistance can be a very uplifting topic. Men and Women and Children all doing simple to amazing things to fight the tyrannical rule of Vichy France and Nazi Germany. Bad things happened. You can read about the bad things, as they make the shining parts shine forth all the greater. No reason to wallow in the gutter of detail.

I would recommend not this book. It doesn't portray the French or the Resistance in a good light, and I think is extremely unfair for many things. It kind of reminds me of a conversation I was having with a friend last week. She writes articles for a music magazine, and is doing a series of articles featuring classical singers who appeared in films. Well, many times she can get an auto-biography which is enlightening. The last one she did, she was floored at how much dirt-dishing went on in one book. Then, for her next article, she wanted to find out about a girl singer/actress from the 40 and 50s, and the actress had written her memoirs in her last years but couldn't get them published because they told her that nobody would read anything when all she had to say were nice things or funny stories about other people. That struck me as so sad. When people only want the down side or the dingy side.

So . . . if you are wanting a good read about the French Resistance . . . I will be reviewing lots more or just drop me a line! It won't be Kershaw, that's for sure. However, there are so many fabulous books whether you want "dry", thrilling, exciting, novel-like or what . . . there are better ways to go about reading about it!

This is not meant to be read as plain, rude bashing. I am just giving my opinion so that someone else might not read that and be turned off of the FR topic. Never once am I shouting. Sadness that it has to be like that to get published these days is my overwhelming feeling over this.

Excellent review! I didn't take it as being rude or bashing at all; just an honest opinion on a subject you're knowledgeable about. I've read Kershaw's Bedford Boys, The Longest Winter and The Few and enjoyed them all. However after reading your review (and a few others afterward) I will be skipping Avenue of Spies. Thanks for taking the time to review it! I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

Kevin

Excellent review! I didn't take it as being rude or bashing at all; just an honest opinion on a subject you're knowledgeable about. I've read Kershaw's Bedford Boys, The Longest Winter and The Few and enjoyed them all. However after reading your review (and a few others afterward) I will be skipping Avenue of Spies. Thanks for taking the time to review it! I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

Kevin

Oh, thanks so much! I am glad it didn't sound bashing. I just wanted to share my honest opinion. I know my Dad liked "The Longest Winter", too. Another good one, which he said was as imilar style to Kershaw, was "The Ghost Soldiers. I haven't read it yet, but it sounds good! My too read list is always way longer than I have time for!

If you want a good FR/Occupied France story . . . try Peter Eisner's "The Freedom Line", or Sherri Greene Ottis' "Silent Heroes", or Denys Teare's "Evader". They are all captivatingly written. For a fabulous FR book that some might say is a bit "dry", but is simply packed with info -- David Schoenbrun's "Soldiers of the Night". For a memoir of a FR fighter -- Marie-Madeleine Fourcade's "Noah's Ark".