Selous Scouts Wings

509thPIB

I'm not an expert but it sure does look good. The size of the numbers, spacing, font and location of the stamping all match original examples. There were 1500 of these badges produced by Reutler in Salisbury, Rhodesia. Of the 1500 only 700 were serial numbered. Of the 700 a little over 587 were issued. In my reference I have a list of who received what based on these serial numbers up to 461. Based on this reference your wing was issued to Trooper S. Kona. There was supposedly two grades of qualification which was distinguished by the color of the wool background material. Brownish wool like your piece is considered Class I while the green wool backing is considered Class II. Class I individuals were original volunteers of the Selous Scouts prior to the introduction of their selection course and graduates of their selection course. Class II was for members who had yet to go through their selection course but participated in an operation and shown exceptional qualities of things like courage, determination, initiative, leadership, etc. My understanding is that the wool like backing material were cut from remnants of no longer usable Selous Scout berets.

Is it possible to get a shot of the front there are a lot of people that have never seen Selous Scout wing.Scotty

Just noticed that this is up for bid on eBay (see link). However even if original way too expensive in my opinion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rhodesian-Selous-Scout-Paratrooper-Wings-ISSUED-AND-AUTHENTIC-0383-NOT-REPRO/223106574813?hash=item33f23029dd:g:OTUAAOSwZOBbdvAB:rk:1:pf:0

Just noticed that this is up for bid on eBay (see link). However even if original way too expensive in my opinion. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rhodesian-Selous-Scout-Paratrooper-Wings-ISSUED-AND-AUTHENTIC-0383-NOT-REPRO/223106574813?hash=item33f23029dd:g:OTUAAOSwZOBbdvAB:rk:1:pf:0

Agreed, way to expensive.

509thPIB Thanks for the front view of the wing.I have never seen a real one that is one great looking wing though.Scotty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the wing is original and extremely rare given the award numbers. The Selous Scouts have a following of collectors that are just as aggressive as the men who served in the unit! I've always wanted one of these wings that is named and awarded but have never found one available. Had I seen this auction I would have been a bidder. I don't think the price is out of line...but that is just me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This group ended unsold at the original bid price. I was able to contact the seller to negotiate a lower price and now own it. The pictures don't do it justice. I will post some better ones when I get a moment....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Here are some better images for those who haven't handled or seen these wings before. All Rhodesian insignia are reproduced and there is certain aspects Originals have that one must be familiar with to acquire a Legit piece.

RPJ-Selous-Scouts.jpg.76217208366b0a2e3adab5132108ee0e.jpg

CDub

• 1 month later...

Here’s one I’ve still got had two once an issued one once but sold it in London to buy food. Kept the backing for some reason so it’s now behind wing 614.434A0285-E357-4397-A65D-99F36BE4B5C4.jpeg.3bd9210fcaf09c43e0c34411567f25fb.jpeg
186F24A8-BCCC-4722-8B64-392E1EDDDAFF.jpeg.e45242f572cd5e651b107753fd7293d2.jpeg

Cloth wing

3105F750-857B-414E-B1F3-F5FD8D8491A5.jpeg.6faa78444c6686a282dd88cb230150fb.jpeg

proberly never worn, taken from Selous Scout H.Q. by an Officer in the last days. Then sold in the U.S. There are two types one has zig zag stitching around edge. 

• 8 months later...

My meager collection of Selous scouts stuff. 

The sterling necklace, though not issued, I believe to be period correct. The wings appear to be genuine. But, very high number.

A6BA02F0-0F47-4791-A18E-88EEEDE6657F.jpeg

A friend gave me this set of camo. He told me it was Rhodesian. I would appreciate anyone’s input. If they are correct, I will leave the photo in the thread for reference. If not, I will delete to not clutter the thread. Marked “Paramount”. 

82AA4F1F-96E3-4BD5-9ABA-C3B49C271DB7.jpeg

Hey Sgt camo is correct, nice heavy weight shirt, badges are good to wings are from the official unit batch but not issued.

cheers Tony.