Does anyone know if you can get nice restrikes of some WWII French medals?

stratasfan

Like buying restrikes of US medals . . . just I am wondering if there is a way to get some French medals like that? There are a few WWII French medals I would like for a display, but can't seem to afford when I look on eBay. (i.e. Legion of Honour, Order of Liberation, etc.). I am collecting WWII-erpiod medals of others I need, but would love to add the ones I can't afford to buy WWII-era ones, as well.

Hi Elizabeth = Many original French medals are available on EBay at reasonable prices. I would suggest you start with buying as many originals as your budget will allow. Often copy medals can be expensive and in the end all you'll have is a copy collection which likely won't even be worth what you paid for it. My 2-cents......Good Luck........Bobgee

Thanks! I have been doing just that, actually. However, I really would like a Legion of Honour and Order of Liberation, but I don't htink they are in my price-range to get WWII-era ones. So, I am thinking restrikes would be good. Does France sell restrikes, like Vanguard in the US?

Dr Strangelove

With regards to the Légion d'Honneur your best bet is to keep an eye on E-bay as they do appear often enough and can often be had for under $100cnd especially if you're ok with a newer strike or a more worn period strike. The Paris mint does offer both awards you're looking for, though the Légion d'Honneur would be the current issue not the WW2 style and IMO prohibitively expensive. They do however offer a very nice looking re strike of the Order of the liberation which might be of interest.

https://www.monnaiedeparis.fr/en/shop/national-orders/cross-of-the-liberation-full-size

Edit Also worth nothing that given the low prices of originals most replica french medals (which I find to generally be of very poor quality) are usually only 20 or so dollars less with some exceptions (Oder of Liberation for example)