"We who are about to die".... The Khmer Marines

irish

I have remembered that phrase from the first time I read it within an issue of the Vietnam Insignia Collector Newsletter "VICN". About one year ago I was able to purchase items from one of the editors of this publication. He having passed away just recently. In among some of the remaining insignia from his collection were both of these patches. I did not look twice before purchasing them...... Had looked for one of these patches for many years, inspired by this story. Was never able to locate even one so having found two for my Viet Indo China collection was wonderful.

This insignia is referenced in the attached article which I hope you take the time to read. It was part one of a two part article. In the article he refers to these pieces in the past tense. One having been lost in the mail. However it must have been found at some point and returned to him.

Anyway the copied story is interesting. A very small unit as it was having been sent to the U.S. for training in the very late stages of the conflict. The last stand took place and few if any of the Khmer Marines survived the war or the aftermath.

I will locate the second half of the article in my old copies of the VICN and attach to this thread.

post-185108-0-44468500-1541635758_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This was buried under VC and NVA uniforms.  I have moved it to other nations of Asia.  Hopefully it will get some additional notice there.  Thanks to all!