Austro-Hungarian M95 Carbine Question

SARGE

Gents,

I have a Budapest made Austro-Hungarian M95 Land Gendarmerie property marked carbine with a couple of markings that I cannot interpret. Any assistance would be appreciated.

The carbine is a straightforward 1918 dated Steyr Mannlicher carbine that has not been reworked or updated and is still in the original old 8x50 calibre. It is all matching and has a large stamped "V" on the grip of the stock. It also has a large stamped "P" on the right side of the stock whereas the matching serial number is found on the left side. I have no idea what these two inspection/property stamps may indicate.

Any idea of what these two "V" and "P" markings might represent?

M95 Aust carbine.jpg

M95 Aust carbine receiver.jpg

M95 Aust carbine chamber.jpg

M95 Aust carbine butt.jpg

M95 stock.jpg

• 5 months later...

I his new book, "Dienstwaffen der deutschen Polizei und Gendarmerie - Weimarer Republik 1919-1933" Horst Freidrich identifies the "P" marking on the stock of German rifles as a Polizei property marking in the German service. This may well be the meaning of this large "P" stamp since these Austro-Hungarian Police carbines remained in service when the Austrian Police became the German Police during the war.