Cold War Tanks and Vehicles: West Germany / Bundeswehr

gwb123

I don't believe I have the front view of this vehicle, but this was a mobile maintenance shop.  It looks like everything is assigned a place and is neatly arranged.

BB 7.jpg

A variety of vehicles including the VW's that were seen everywhere. It is hard to read the markings on the hood, but it looks like the propeller symbol of an aviation unit. (I/32 ?)

BB 8.jpg

This looks to be a towed 20 mm anti-aircraft weapon, both on and off towing wheels. 

As with any public display, a big hit with they young boys!

BB 30.jpg

BB 31.jpg

Not to be excluded, but the US Army dropped by with a HAWK loading vehicle and loaded launcher.

There were 32nd AADCOM units all over the area, with the HAWKs loaded and in plain view.

It was somewhat comforting to know they were around.

I believe that is a Luftwaffe officer to the left side.

Hawk 1.jpg

And speaking of the Luftwaffe...a UH-1 drawing attention.

(These barracks were so much nicer than ours.  Yes, I know I am repeating myself but if you had spent the winters there, you would understand.)

BB 10.jpg

While this is very old news, I was surprised to see back in the day that the Germans had adopted the Israeli made UZI. 

BB 27.jpg

BB 28.jpg

While not a picture of a tank, this was another feature of the day. 

This was a concert in a vehicle shed that was being given by the US Army 8th ID Division Band.  The crowd is a mix of civilian and military.

The Germans were smarter than we were... we left our vehicles in our motor pools out in the rain, snow and sun.  The Bundeswehr invested in large shed that not only protected the vehicles from the weather, but also kept them away from prying eyes.  It also made servicing these vehicles a lot easier when the weather was bad.

BB 40.jpg

Proud Kraut

Wunderbar Gil, these are some nice shots! First picture shows some army (Heer) medical personnel with field uniforms and blue berets.

The guys with blue dress uniforms are Luftwaffe (air force). As fas as I can see the tactical sign on the vehicles is from Luftwaffen Fernmelderegiment 32, an air force signal unit that was garrisoned in Birkenfeld near Baumholder. Were these pictures and the ones of the arty systems taken at the same event?

P.S. The FORD ambulance is gorgeous!

Changing the subject completely:

Here is a militarized Mercedes truck that has been prepared for air delivery.  Note the large parachute on the back, and the supporting material below.  

This appeared at the Paris Airshow in 1983.

I have no idea if this vehicle was ever adopted by the Bundeswehr, but obviously it was being sales pitched that way.

Mercedes Paris.jpg