Pantheon de la Guerre: Iconic Painting of the World War I Victory

gwb123

If you have been to the National World War I Museum and Memorial at Kansas City, the chances are you have seen portions of this huge work.

"The result was the world's largest painting at the time, set on a panoramic canvas measuring 402 feet (122 meters) around and 45 feet (13.7 meters) high. It contained over 5,000 life-size portraits of war heroes, royalty and government officials from the Allies of World War I, with France dominating the stage. The painting was so big that a custom building had to be constructed to accommodate it."

This CNN article gives a good overview of the painting, and how what had been displayed in Paris ended up in the American Midwest"

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/pantheon-de-la-guerre-wwi-painting/index.html

This section which is focused on an American contingent in a Victory Parade is at the center of the display in Kansas City. In the color guard, you can pick out an American Indian, a Cowboy, an Industrialist, a wage worker, all lead by a West Point cadet.

Contrary to this level of fantasy, there are other panels that are somewhat more realistic. When I saw it, I particularly liked the ones showing role of women in the Great War.

The photo was copied from the article.

WWI KC.jpg

Perhaps a more representative view of the original work...

A selection of decorated French soldiers. Notice the amount of detail put into the portraits, their uniforms and medals.

This is my photograph from the National World War I Museum.

BB1 small.jpg