1796 Officer's Light Cavalry Swords

stratasfan

Belonged to Officers in the Cornish Militia. Two brothers served, so these would have belonged to either one. The one is still in nice condition, while the other is suffering from rust. Cool that they still exist, though and could be identified as to owner.

This is a really cool sword style, and was made between 1796-1821. The second (rusty) one is slightly shorter and slightly more curved, so could have been for an Infantry officer.

post-185332-0-14633200-1542294056_thumb.jpg

post-185332-0-45446600-1542294162.jpg

Detail of blade and hilt:

post-185332-0-14643700-1542294183_thumb.jpg

Here is the second one:

post-185332-0-51472900-1542294210_thumb.jpg

If anyone has one of these type swords, would love to see pictures, feel free to post!

Yes, we have it narrowed down to two brothers. They were in the Fencibles, and their uniforms at the time would have been something like this. These swords are still in the family. There were three Brothers in the Fencibles, but the oldest died in 1797, and would most likely have had a 1793 version, I believe. Really cool!

post-185332-0-66293800-1542306987.jpg

We have a nearly identical example of the first sword named to Captain Christian Sackrider of the 144th NY Militia in the War of 1812. Sackrider settled here on a land grant in 1834. The sword came from his Great Grandson who was a WWI vet. Ours is eerily similar and we have the hangar as well. Scott

We have a nearly identical example of the first sword named to Captain Christian Sackrider of the 144th NY Militia in the War of 1812. Sackrider settled here on a land grant in 1834. The sword came from his Great Grandson who was a WWI vet. Ours is eerily similar and we have the hangar as well. Scott

By hanger, do you mean the chain part that would attach to those two round rings? If so, would love to see a picture of what it would actually have looked like!

By hanger, do you mean the chain part that would attach to those two round rings? If so, would love to see a picture of what it would actually have looked like!

Yes, that is the hangar and I will try to get some pics for you. It is currently on exhibit and in a cabinet, so as I am re-working some things I will get it out so you can see close ups. Scott

• 2 months later...

Two excellent swords Elizabeth. Are there makers/distributors markings on either one of them by chance?

Also, you should attack that red (active) rust with a little light gun oil to keep down any damage. Black rust is OK and is not eating away at the metal but red rust is always a problem as it is actively causing problems. A light rub down with gun, or sewing machine, oil will not hurt the swords. Don't use penetrating oil like WD40 though.

Two excellent swords Elizabeth. Are there makers/distributors markings on either one of them by chance?

Also, you should attack that red (active) rust with a little light gun oil to keep down any damage. Black rust is OK and is not eating away at the metal but red rust is always a problem as it is actively causing problems. A light rub down with gun, or sewing machine, oil will not hurt the swords. Don't use penetrating oil like WD40 though.

Sent you a PM!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! For reference, I thought I would post links to bios of the two brothers whose swords these were. My Sister got the webpages up with information and their pictures, and I thought some might like to see whose swords these were. :)

http://eliotsofporteliot.com/eliots/eliot-john-earl.html

http://eliotsofporteliot.com/eliots/eliot-william.html

• 1 year later...