509thPIB

How this paratrooper got his trench knife back after 70 years

Oh, thanks for sharing! Such a cool story!

The Dad of a family we grew up around the corner from (and have been best friends with since we moved to Ohio) is from Holland. Actually from Arnhem. He was a little shaver when Market Garden happened, but remembered standing in the front door with his Grampa watching the Allied planes which blackened the sky.

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!

For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!

Looking for Crimea Medal - Original or Repro - with or w/o ribbon and/or up to four Army bars!

Always interested in French Resistance stuff and any diver pins/patches/badges!

Hello. I am no expert on blades. but it appears in the photo of the ex paratrooper that he is holding a German bayonet, which were produced

without muzzle rings, in a fiberglass OD scabbard of a length that might accommodate a bayonet. GI trench knives M 3. had blades that

were shorter than bayonet blades, and were originally issued with leather scabbards. Newspaper error ?

Agree with retread. A German bayonet.

Steve

Yep a Mauser bayonet mismatched to his scabbard. Those hash marks on the grip are a sure sign it's German:

mauser-bayo.jpg

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE!

Well, how is this for a scenario ? Reporter takes multiple photos of the vet holding different relics. Snaps one of the GI holding a TR blade. Vet obliges, pics get printed w/o

verification Did the vet his knife back? or did he think that was it ??? Food for thought