Soldiers of the Night: The Story of the French Resistance, by David Schoenbrun

stratasfan

This is the most amazing French Resistance book that I've ever come across. This is an overview of the French Resistance as an entirety. Not a particular movement or Sabotage v. Espionage. This is the complete story. David Schoenbrun was a War Correspondent (working with Edward R. Morrow's group) and was there during the retaking of France. He did extensive reading of French works written post-War, and interviewed tons of FR members and SOE and OSS agents.

The book is large (my hardback is 3-4" thick), but broken into nice chapters. It is chronological for the most part, although will continue on a topic sometimes, when needed. This is not novel like, this is informative! But, not as dry as many I've read. Honestly, if you are serious about FR, then try this! It is fabulous! I read this when I was about 15, I think. Took me almost a year, as I don't read FR stuff at night, so I just plowed ahead. It is so worth the time! I've re-read most of it many times since and it is always a wonderful resource of information!

He tells in detail about the assorted French Resistance factions, the political movements behind them, the leaders of movements, the Free French Government, Vichy, Britain and the Us' involvement and support of different movements, SOE and OSS involvement, the massacre of Oradour, Vercours, the Liberation of the Riviera and Paris, etc. Filled with all sorts of first-hand interviews and stories from agents and fighters.

Really, an amazing book for any really interested in the French Resistance as a whole, as an entire piece of history!

post-185332-0-10547500-1542719978.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you like the topic and are wanting a really informative read . . . then this is a good one to get! I don't think they are really expensive on eBay if you look. I've had mine from a library booksale for so long, I be Sis and I we ten or younger when Mom picked it up! I saw a paperback version at a used book store one time for $8 and have kicked myself ever since that I didn't pick it up, as I would love to have a second copy to mark references and certain stories in. :)