Possibly Italian enameled skull pin Oltre La Morte

Tonomachi

Anyone recognized this pin as having been worn by a specific unit in the Italian Military? It measures about an inch in diameter. I believe Oltre La Morte translates to Beyond Death.

post-185261-0-61379800-1543103157.jpg

post-185261-0-40111900-1543103173.jpg

• 3 years later...

It seems to be connected with the Arditi del Popolo (The People's Daring Ones), which was an anti-fascist group in Italy during World War 2, which took their name from an early 1920s groups who were opposed to the rise of fascism. They, in turn, took their name from the Italian elite shock troops of the Great War known as the Arditi (The Daring Ones) The original Arditi were disbanded in 1920 with many members joining National Association Arditi d'Italia and a large number went on to join Mussolini's National Federation Arditi D'Italia. However, other Arditi formed The Arditi del Popolo. There is another skull badge with the same motto but on a shield rather than a circle. Both badges appear to be associated with the anti-fascist Arditi and were linked with various anarchist groups as well.

I don't know if it was worn by a military unit per se, but, and my Italian is not the best so I may have got the above wrong, it does seem to have been worn by para-military organisations.

A bit more digging and I found this description of a modern copy of the badge:

Oltre la Morte – beyond death! This was the motto of the Arditi del Popolo, the Italian anti-fascist movement of mostly veterans of the First World War that tried to thwart the rise of Mussolini and his fascist gang in the 20s.

Which is a lot clearer and more succinct than mine own attempt!